Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mid-century modern dresser

Madi
Growing in Experience

Mid-century modern dresser

7FE50E95-C2A4-4B16-AEBE-DC4B5F5F3542.jpeg

I gave this dresser a facelift. I used the Feast And Watson Japan Black stain and stained it. Added wooden legs with brass detail and brushed brass cabinet handles. 

Steps

Step 1

Sanded down the dresser.

Step 2

Pretty much straight after applied 3 coats of Japan Black paint.

Step 3

5A76B4FD-CAA9-4711-98A8-D02D09ADDAE3.jpeg

On the inside I cut up the wall paper to size and placed them I wanted a tougher material than just normal paper https://www.bunnings.com.au/superfresco-easy-blue-scandi-leaf-wallpaper-m-blue-green_p0167793 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mid-century modern dresser

Hello @Madi 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your beautiful upcycled dresser.

Your dresser looks wonderful, I love the Black Japan finish. Those mid-century legs that you've added totally change the look and feel of this cabinet. The brass handles look great and give the cabinet a fantastic finish. How long did the entire project take? Did you run into any challenges while revamping the cabinet?

Again, thank you for sharing such a fabulous project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Madi
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the kind words Eric. I purchased the legs as a set from Etsy and they came with everything I needed. A friend lent me their drill which I used to drill the hole. Installation was pretty straightforward. Only advise is place a plastic drop sheet below the furniture you are staining. The stain did come off with some turpentine but fully avoidable. Oh and also wear thicker plastic gloves I used disposable gloves. When trying to get into the grooves it must have ripped as my finger nails were stained. Ha ha ! 

Honestly the project was very straightforward and based on feedback from peeps it has given me motivation to take on bigger projects 😎

6F215BD9-D276-41BB-BA3C-82DB5B6F2453.jpeg

887B1FF8-4925-4EF0-9125-6A06282CC2F4.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @Madi 

Now that looks like a high end cabinet! :smile: Definently an upgrade, Now do you do the rest of the room in the same format? :smile:

Dave

Madi
Growing in Experience

He he that’s the hope. 

I am new to DIY. I will be doing more but using tradies to do the work. Watching and learning :smile:

Best

Madi

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects