Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Patch on masonry with water pipes

DionSouthwell
Getting Established

Patch on masonry with water pipes

Hi, I need some advice on patching the attached hole, basically someone drilled a hole and punctured the water pipe. The wall has been chased and the leak repaired, i need some advice on patching this hole back to a point where it can be painted. Do I need to cover or insulate the pipes, can mortar be used and if so should it be done in layers as its quite large.

618899045.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Patch on masonry with water pipes

Hi @rocker,

@MitchellMc is taking a break for the next couple of days but will be back Friday to assist. Feel free to continue to ask questions and we'll tag other helpful community members who might be able to help and share their experiences. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I apologise for the delay in my reply, @rocker. You could certainly use Earl's 0.140kg White MulTfill Ready To Use Filler, though I'm not a huge fan of you doing too much sanding around exposed electrical cables.

I see @MikeTNZ hasn't gotten back to us, but I really think you should contact the electrician to ask if they intend to come back and enclose the wires in conduit. It's my understanding that if the wires can not be contained in the wall, then an appropriate conduit or shield is to be installed over them.

Mitchell

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @MitchellMc,

Sorry for the delay in my reply, is there a power cable in there next to the pipe?

It is very hard to tell with the picture.

What the pipe needs though, before it is sealed in the wall, is a layer of wool insulation and a layered wrap of Denso tape over it.

The power cable should be fine as long as there is no visible damage to the sheath on the outside of the cable.

However, if you are going to cover this cable over, I would get some 20 or 25mm (depending on the size of the cable) Betta-flex Flexible conduit, split it down the middle with a Stanley knife and wrap it around the cable before the whole thing is covered up, that will ensure that it is mechanically protected.

If you have further questions, by all means, let me know.

Cheers,

Mike T.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

My apologies, @Mike, and thanks for your response. I was looking for your thoughts on @rocker's electrical work, as pictured below. Exposed cabling in an accessible area. You'll find their question midway on page one of this discussion. They are looking for advice on filling the holes, but I thought it a tad unusual that this exposed work wasn't enclosed in some form of conduit.

Mitchell

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @MitchellMc, @rocker,

How accessible is this wiring?

Is it exposed or is it in a cupboard or some place like that?

Personally, if it is exposed to "usual damage" (like things can bang into it a number of times) it does need to be enclosed in rigid PVC conduit.

If it could be damaged by unusual damage, I would say that flexible conduit, saddled to the wall would be enough to protect the cabling.

Was this work done by an electrician originally?

Has the structure around this changed appreciably?

Please let me know as to what we should do with this.

Cheers,

Mike T.

rocker
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your advice @MikeTNZ and @MitchellMc.

Mine is new electrical work. I probably should have started a new thread as this is now confusing! (There are no water pipes in mine.)

The whole area is above a new hot water tank and it will all be enclosed by a cupboard door. Nevertheless, I will plug those holes as they allow an entry point into the flat from a common stack which is riddled with cockroaches! I'll then cover the all the cables with some form of ducting (that orange cable is also power). That area above the hot water tank will be used for future storage. The following photo shows the area a bit below the previous photo.

IMG_2776.jpg

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @rocker,

I think ducting (also known as trunking in the trade) would be the perfect and neatest solution to covering up and protecting them cables.

I have no idea why I didn't suggest that in the first place.

Just looking at that picture you posted, I have a great respect for people that work with copper pipes and brass fittings and make it look neat,

without any leaks, it is safe to assume I will never be a plumber.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects