Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What kind of screws do I need to attach these legs to this wood to make a computer desk?

dorf
Just Starting Out

What kind of screws do I need to attach these legs to this wood to make a computer desk?

Hi 

I have ordered the following timber and furniture legs

Specrite 1200 x 600mm 18mm Timber Panel Golden Teak Acacia FJ Laminated Oiled - Bunnings Australia

RapidMesh 73.2 x 50 x 6cm Black Lima Steel Tube Desk Furniture Leg - Bunnings Australia

what kind of screws should I purchase to secure the legs to the desk?

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: What kind of screws do I need to attach these legs to this wood to make a computer desk?

Hi @dorf,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop and thanks for taking the time to ask for advice.

However, I think that the actual desktop you've selected will be too thin (at 18 mm thick), this timber is made to be put on top of a frame where it is supported all of the way around it with multiple screws holding it down.

As opposed to being supported by two legs, there will not be enough material to screw into, there is a risk that the screws will pull out over time.

Even if you bolted through the desktop (and who wants bolts and washers on their desktop?), I wouldn't like that myself.

You really need a timber frame of some sort under this that supports the whole sheet.

If you require further help with your project, I'm more than happy to help you out.

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What kind of screws do I need to attach these legs to this wood to make a computer desk?

Hello @dorf

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about what screws to use for your computer desk.

It's great that you've received sound advice from @MikeTNZ. Due to the thickness of your chosen tabletop, there won't be enough material for the screw to hold onto. If you were to add the thickness of the mounting plate of the furniture leg you would need a screw that would at least cross the distance of the steel tube. This would be approximately 20mm plus the amount that needs to go into the timber without breaking the surface. Since you only have an 18mm top an extension of 15mm would be the logical choice.

You'd need a screw length of 35mm to cover the entire distance. Ideally, you would want the screw to travel halfway to get a good grip on the timber material. In this instance, only 1/3 of the length of the screw is holding onto the tabletop. Daily use and movement of the table could cause the screw to pull out.

As an alternative, I suggest looking at the 2250 x 600mm 30mm Plywood Pine BC Grade. It's easy to cut, sand and paint. If you were to use this panel, I recommend using a screw with a length of 50mm. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Thank you @EricL,

Depending upon 4/6 screws @9mm penetration each over that length of span and the inherent weight that could be put on top of it,

just didn't seem right.

I think the solution given by you, makes much better sense and will be more stable.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects