Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build over and hide this old feature?

ptrchr
Getting Established

How to build over and hide this old feature?

Hello,

Stopping by again as received great advice before on my previous patio post, have got that job done - cheers again guys. Now would like to ask what materials I would need to build over/cover this old feature in the living room. There is already a frame around it that can be utilised. So if you have some suggestions for suitable wooden panels or what ever is going to look OK and cost effective that would be greatly appreciated. No need for anything fancy. And no cabinetry required, plus just a simple flat surface on top is fine. Please see attached photo with measurements. Thank you!structure to build over.jpg

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to build over and hide this old feature?

Gidday @ptrchr,

Personally, I would get that ugly cabling moved for a start, have an electrician move the socket-outlet in behind the TV and also the coaxial cable with it.

From there, I think you're right, it needs to be wood panelling to mimic the floor, merely covering that up in plasterboard would not be right and would invite damage that low down on the floor.

I'm loosely picking that this is your lounge?

Have you thought about having something like a cabinet arrangement for storage under the TV?, I don't know what you'd put in there, but these days

who doesn't need extra storage?

I mean, If you're handy with a router (the power tool) you could make anything you like with respect to panels with profiles cut into them, just whatever takes your fancy.

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build over and hide this old feature?

Hello @ptrchr

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @MikeTNZ. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend using a 2200 x 600 x 26mm Beech Laminated Panel to cover the top. I also suggest using plasterboard to cover the front and side of the timber frame. Although it is possible to remove the frame and remove the bricks I believe it creates a bigger problem and that's trying to find identical floorboards.

Please note that it will be necessary to paint the timber panel to prevent it from warping. The plasterboard edges and screw holes will need to be sealed with plaster and the top of the board needs to be primed before painting the top coat on.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects