Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount frameless mirror?

prat33
Finding My Feet

How to mount frameless mirror?

Hi guys, I've purchased a frameless mirror from IKEA (https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/laerbro-mirror-60471021) which I now need to mount in one of my bedrooms on a painted plasterboard wall (studs don't line up with where mirror needs to go).

I don't really have any DIY skills, so was thinking of either mounting using the clips which it came with (and purchasing something like these: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-wallmate-twist-n-lock-4-pack_p2260138) or alternatively using a mirror mounting tape like this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/permastik-5m-x-24mm-mirror-mounting-tape_p0045268

With the mirror mounting tape, it talks about using the Permastik Isopropyl Surface Cleaner - I was thinking of using the Diggers one instead. But question I have is could isopropyl not strip off the paint? Am I better off using just sugar soap to clean the wall before using the mirror mounting tape?

Also how reliable is the mirror mounting tape? Feels like a bit of a gamble using it.. but then it provides a cleaner look compared to using those clips.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to mount frameless mirror?

Hi @prat33,

Welcome along to Bunnings Workshop and thanks for your post.

Nobody wants to mess up the installation of a mirror of any size, if done wrong this can end quite badly

A 1200mm x 480mm mirror is a lot of glass and a lot of weight.

My advice would be to go with at least 10 Wall-Mates and screws and possibly some extra clips if you can get them.

Reason I say that is you need 4 clips at the bottom (where most of the weight is), 2 at the top to hold it in place and

possibly one either side at half mirror height, just to make sure that the whole mirror is supported over it's surface.

You do not want any stress on a mirror, they do not use toughened glass and will break if twisted in any fashion.

If you require any further advice regarding this project, by all means let us know.

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @prat33

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about mounting your mirror. 

Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a look at the Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor - 4 Pack. The other two mounting items you mentioned will also work, however, if you use mounting tape, I suggest using it in combination with Selleys 310g Liquid Nails Mirror Metal And Glass Adhesive. Using the tape by itself will not be enough to keep the mirror mounted. 

Please keep in mind the Selleys adhesive must be placed in large fat vertical lines so that it spreads well across the back when pressed across the wall. To hold the mirror in place, I recommend using masking tape on the corners to prevent it from sliding or tipping over while the glue cures. When the glue cures you can take the masking tape off.

If your mirror is quite heavy it would be safer to use the clips that came with the set and if you wish to add more clips, I suggest looking at the Everhang 11kg Spring Loaded Mirror Clips if you're after extra support.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @prat33. I'm sure you'll get loads of help and inspiration from our wonderful members.

In addition to the advice offered for your mirror, you might find this article helpful - How to hang just about anything by @Adam_W.

Jason

Thanks all. The mirror is 6kg so I've decided to go with this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-nylon-wallmate-anchor-4-pack_p2268882

Otherwise have just followed the instructions which came with the mirror i.e. 2 clips at the bottom and 2 on the sides.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @prat33

Please make sure to post photo updates while you mount the mirror. I'm sure our members will be keen to see the steps you took to anchor the screws and the mirror hooks.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects