Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use PVA glue & sawdust to fill gaps between floorboards?

Shaun_H
Just Starting Out

How to use PVA glue & sawdust to fill gaps between floorboards?

Hey All. So I've recently purchased a property and want to sand and stain the wooden floors before moving in. I've stained and used a drum sander & edger before but I was thinking of doing the PVA glue & the sawdust from sanding to fill the gaps between the boards, most visibility along the door leading to the balcony. I have never done this. I'm pretty good with DIY. I'm wondering would the previous stain on the wood be a problem if I'm using that sawdust to fill the gaps between the boards. I will be staining it a slightly lighter colour. It will be a matte finish. Would you reckon it's Tasmanian "Oak" that's been used here?

Screenshot_20231207-150617.png

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to use PVA glue & sawdust to fill gaps between floorboards?

Hello @Shaun_H,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're delighted to have you join us. Congratulations on purchasing your property. I can imagine it must be an exciting time for you. 

Thanks for your question on revamping your floorboards. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be online later today and will be happy to assist. Let me also call on our helpful members @diy_hausdesigns@Dave-1@TheRenoDad and @redbournreno for their recommendations.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good mornoing @Shaun_H 

Mmmm not sure what the timber is 😕 When I had my floorboards done years ago it was a 50/50 worth it or not as the gaps in the floor were fairly small to start with. They did my lounge and left the corridor and I think the corridor has come up nicer overall :smile: The reason I say this is your floor dosnt look like it has much of a gap between boards. So not sure how well the sawdust/glue will take.

To the question about the current stain and the future stain being a problem being mixed Id say probarly it will be a darker mix if you use the sawdust. I know there are coloured grout/glue for timber floors that may be a more consistant way of filling the cracks (and have that fine consistancy needed)

Would love to see how your project goes :smile: Timber floors are why I bought my house as I really like the feel and warmth they add.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Shaun_H 

Thanks for sharing your question about filling the gaps in your floorboard with sawdust and PVA. An excellent traditional technique to fill in gaps in your floorboard. There is the possibility that the old stain would colour the filler. One technique you can try is to sand a section of your floor where the stain has already been taken off. This would be just ordinary saw dust from the actual timber itself and not mixed in with the old stain.

In regards to the colour and timber type I'm afraid it's difficult to tell through a photograph. My best suggestion is to visit your local store and grabbing a brochure from the Cabot's and Feast Watson range. Once you've chosen your stain, I propose testing a small area and see if you like the finish. If it is satisfactory, you can then commit the entire floor area.       

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to seal timber f floors.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects