Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal 1970s besser block wall and concrete slab for new flooring?

Ren2r
Just Starting Out

How to seal 1970s besser block wall and concrete slab for new flooring?

I've 1970s besser block walls on concrete slab. I Removed old  carpet from bedroom as musty. Found cracks at edges, crumbled concrete when removed nails. Doesn't look wet but can smell musty.

No rain hits exterior walls but who knows what's happening deep down and underneath. Sunshine Coast always rains.

Looking for cheapest best option to get done asap. 

1. What can I paint exterior walls to some what seal as well? Would like to use the ozito spray gun if possible 

20240326_113553.jpg

2.What do I use to fix the crumbled concrete internal floors, seal edges and maybe paint or seal floors and internal walls?

IMG_20240326_101942.jpg

IMG_20240326_101934.jpg

3. Expoxy or self levelling feedback, smell and where can do high enough to cover the join between block and floor? 

20240326_113414.jpg

I used exterior no more gaps internally as there was ants and when started reading knew take longer to get right info. 

20240326_113114.jpg

I'm was thinking  hybrid floors.

Would love plush carpet in 1 room but hesitant with moisture lurking. 

I'd be happy with even expoxy etc with nice ruggs. 

I've read so much that contradicts itself. Please help, where do I start 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal 1970s besser block wall and concrete slab for new flooring?

Hello @Ren2r 

Thanks for sharing your question about your Besser block wall. This is a bit tricky as we don't know exactly where the moisture ingress is coming from. It could be coming from deep beneath your slab, instead of sealing it from the outside, I suggest sealing it from the inside using Dunlop 4L Damp-Proof Waterproofing.

Dunlop Damp-Proof Waterproofing, an acrylic brush-on membrane, serves as a reliable barrier against rising damp, efflorescence, and withstands negative hydrostatic pressure. With superior adhesion to various surfaces such as brick, masonry, concrete block, stone, and timber, it offers ease of application with a brush or roller.

With the barrier in place, it should be ok to install the hybrid flooring. To combat the moisture and humidity inside the room, I also suggest installing an exhaust fan on the wall to promote air circulation in the room. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects