Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an upholstered bed headboard?

maodoumama
Finding My Feet

How to build an upholstered bed headboard?

Hi team, I need some help with this bed headboard project. I need to make two queen upholstery headboards as the ones on the market either too ugly or too expensive. 

I have no experience, no tools and no materials. I am hoping to get the tools and materials and make the project on two or three whole days. 

Any advice, guidance or tips appreciated. 

All the bests, 

Peng

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: headboard

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @maodoumama. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a headboard.

Your project sounds entirely possible, but I wouldn't be putting a definitive time limit on it if you haven't done something like this before. 

To start, you'll need materials such as Plywood, foam padding, upholstery fabric, PVA glue and staples. For the tools, a saw, staple gun, utility knife, measuring tape and sandpaper.

You'll start by measuring the width of the bed and determining the height you'd like the bedhead to be. Cut the plywood to these dimensions. You can cut your plywood at angle or in a curve for a decorative look. Use your sandpaper to sand any rough edges.

Cut your padding to match the dimensions of your plywood. Use PVA glue to adhere your padding to the plywood and allow it to dry.

Next, lay your upholstery on a surface and place your bedhead on top with the padding facing down. Pull the fabric taut over the headboard and staple it to the back, starting from the centre and working your way out. Corners can be a bit tricky; fold them neatly like wrapping a gift.

Once the fabric is securely attached, trim any excess fabric and batting. 

If you want to attach it to the bed frame, you may need to drill holes and use screws or bolts to secure it.

Remember your PPE, including safety glasses, a face mask and gloves.

Let me mention some of our helpful members, @prettyliving, @lifestylebymari  and @NatashaD to see if they have some suggestions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build an upholstered bed headboard?

Hi @maodoumama,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

I trust Mitch's comprehensive reply is very helpful to you. 

Just thought I might also direct you to check out the upholstered bedhead made by Bunnings Workshop community member @annatr.

We look forward to seeing your project come together.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
NatashaD
Growing in Experience

Re: How to build an upholstered bed headboard?

Hi @maodoumama,

Great idea to make your headboards. And I agree with @MitchellMc that the simplest way is to use plywood for the backing. 

To work out your measurements, note a queen bed is about 1850mm wide and a standard sheet of ply is 2400mm x 1200mm. 

To upholster a full sheet of plywood, ensure it can be secured to the wall safely. 

A more economical option is to have one sheet cut in store lengthways to get two backings of 2400mm long x 600mm high. (Cutting the plywood also makes it easier to manage.) 

You may need to pick up wadding and fabric from a craft store. May I also suggest taking a look at this bedhead featured in Bunnings magazine. While your backing and fabric are different, the wadding and stapling methods would be similar. 

headboard support leg with spacer.jpeg

Once you’ve upholstered the headboard, add three supporting legs to the back, using lengths of pine cut to the final height of the headboard.

Use adhesive and screws to attach one in the middle and the other two about 500mm in from the ends. (The legs on the headboard in this image also have spacers to allow for the skirting board.) You'll need a drill for this.

The bed pushes against the base of the headboard to keep it in place. You could also add safety furniture anchors.

Hope this helps with your project.

Natasha 

Re: headboard

Thanks heaps, Mitchell. Really appreciate your help. 

It seems quite.doable but not sure I could manage it. Will look through ideas first.

🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

All the bests, 

Peng

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects