Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to position angle leg plates to bookshelf?

Kaye4
Finding My Feet

How to position angle leg plates to bookshelf?

I'm making a mid century style bookshelf and would like some suggestions on where to place the leg plates. I'm using 'Adoored' angle leg plates. Should legs splay out? Should legs be parallel?

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.  I've included a couple of images to show you what I mean.

Thanks. 🙂🤞

1000006375.jpg

1000006374.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to position angle leg plates to bookshelf?

Hello @Kaye4 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about how to position your leg plates.

The Adoored Angle Plate Leg Furniture Accessory comes with a pressed angle on its surface and has two 45-degree cuts on the mounting plate itself. These cut angles serve as a guide for the position of the angle plate.  

If you place the plate on it straight edge the leg position will be in a straight splayed position. If it is placed on the angle on the right, the leg will be splayed pointing outwards away from the table. The opposite will happen if the plate is placed on the left angle.

If you are after a certain angle for your legs, I propose removing the screws on the plate and move the plate slowly in a circular motion with the leg attached. In this manner you'll be able to see the angle the leg will be taking. You'll be able to tell if it's too much or too little. 

When you find the position you're after fix the plate in place and copy the position of the plate for the other leg. Stand your table up and make an assessment. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Nailbag and @JacobZ95 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kaye4 

Please note that having the legs splayed outwards is best for stability so it doesn't topple over. Just keep in mind that if you decide not to splay the legs out it's best to fix the table to the wall with an angle bracket so it doesn't fall forward. 

Eric

Kaye4
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric,.

I did exactly that and chose to have legislating sideways. I'm happy with the result.

20240227_221616.jpg

17090326174084285483652736696566.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kaye4 

Thank you so much for sharing photos of the finished product. It looks fantastic, can you please tell us its measurements? What kind of wood did you use? How long did it take to build?

Your choice of building a mid-century designed bookshelf is very striking. It certainly looks much better than a standard boxed bookcase.

Again, thanks for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects