Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix ducted heating ceiling vent?

jaiprak
Having an Impact

How to fix ducted heating ceiling vent?

The heating vent all of a sudden decided to fall off today. It is clinging on with just one clip. I am unable to figure out how to unclip the one that is holding and search for any missing peices on the other two clips.

how do I go about fixing this? I thought of putting some liquid nail but then realized it would be a big job when replacing. Would screwing work? Or how do I buy clips and put it back?

IMG_9719.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Ducted heating ceiling vent

Hi @jaiprak 

I had same  problem I ended up glueing  it up using white  paintable  silicon placed all around the edge.

The  only thing  you need is a length of timber to push it up into  place and leave it proped up there for 24 hours/

You  can put 3 screws in it too the rim and into the gyprock with the silicon as that duct can  be pushing down more than expected.

Wipe any silicon mess up  with turps.

You will never remove the vent so dont worry about it stuck up there.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix ducted heating ceiling vent?

Hello @jaiprak 

Thanks for sharing your question about fixing your ceiling vent. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend drilling pilot holes in the plastic casing to prevent cracking the sides if you decide to use screws.

Putting silicone to hold it in place is not a bad idea. The trick is to put it in certain spots only and not all over the place. You can prevent the vent from dropping by holding it in place with masking tape. Once the silicone cures you can remove the masking tape. When the time comes to replace it will not be a great struggle to remove it. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jaiprak
Having an Impact

@EricL @Jewelleryrescue - silicone and a length of timber did the job in 24 hrs

Hi @jaiprak 

Good  job  :smile:  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects