Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a solid queen bed?

echopepper18
Finding My Feet

How to make a solid queen bed?

Havent started yet

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to make a solid queen bed?

Hi @echopepper18,

Apologies for the slow reply. 

Do you already have a plan you want to follow? Or a certain style?

Bunnings has a step-by-step guide How to make a wooden bed frame that could be a good place to start. There's also a kids framed bed with headboard which could give you ideas. You might also be interested to see the D.I.Y. queen size bed built by Workshop community member @Gaz a few years back.  

Hope that helps kick off the discussion.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks for the links above @Jason 

I'm convinced the next bed we need - I'm gonna make it, should I still be able too.

The last wooden bed we purchased was of appalling quality. A big problem I've found over the years is the connections where the frame meets the ends.

Anyway...

Hi @echopepper18  - echoing Jason's questions - any chance of seeing a rough design of what you're after?

HIJason, saw one that some one made in your class,it had notches  to slip frames into NOT NAILS OR SCREWS

Hi again @echopepper18,

I see you've also made a comment on this project - Queen-sized D.I.Y. bed using castle joinery by @prashantpd 

The article has the steps they took and the tools and materials used. 

Bunnings Workshop is an online community where customers just like you share their projects as well as their experiences, knowledge and advice. It is not related to in-store classes.

Let me tag one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL to see if he might be able to help you create a plan for replicating @prashantpd's creation.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @echopepper18 

If you are keen to build the Queen-sized D.I.Y. bed using castle joinery by @prashantpd. Please give me a few days to draw up the plans for you. Once I'm finished, I'll post it here.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @echopepper18 

My apologies for the delay in drawing up the plans. The castle joinery is a bit tricky, and I made the measurements to be exact. In real world applications it will be necessary for you to add 2mm for the cut space otherwise the timber once slotted together will lock itself in place and will be extremely difficult to take apart. You'll notice this once you start assembling the corners of the bed frame.

Please note, it is extremely important that you measure your Queen size mattress before you cut your timber. The size I've indicated on the length and width of the frame is based on general measurements found online. Please double check your measurements before committing to cutting the timber lengths.   

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

bed frame footing.jpgbed frame footing 1.jpgEnd cuts.jpgcentre joist.jpgFrame finished.jpgbed rails.jpgcentre footing.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects