Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install VJ panels on a timber frame?

SPP
Cultivating a Following

How to install VJ panels on a timber frame?

Hi, 

I want to rip off my old MDF walls and place brand new VJ Panels onto the timber frame. 

From the videos I have seen, the timber frame needs to have a set spacing.

Can someone here explain why the timber frame needs to have set spacing. What if the spacing I have is not as per VJ Panel manufacturer specification. What can I do in this regard? 

Regards
Sree 

SPP
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to install VJ panels on a timber frame?

@MitchellMc  

WasteThings.jpg

How do I insulate the top cavity where there is no backing structure to support the insulation?How do I insulate the top cavity where there is no backing structure to support the insulation?WhatsApp Image 2024-01-27 at 17.57.50_6fc8f881.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-01-27 at 17.57.50_e7065ced.jpgHow do I insulate the top cavity where there is no backing structure to support the insulation?How do I insulate the top cavity where there is no backing structure to support the insulation?How do I insulate the top cavity where there is no backing structure to support the insulation?How do I insulate the top cavity where there is no backing structure to support the insulation?WhatsApp Image 2024-01-27 at 17.57.51_df214cd2.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-01-27 at 17.57.52_e720c36d.jpg

See attached photo again (along with photos of the demolished room)

Also, regarding insulation, the wall cavity depth is around 80 mm whilst the studs are spaced around 400 mm apart. Which insulation product would be recommended? 

What tools would you recommend I use to put the insulation in. 

I was going to get this tool (to blow away any dust and also vaccum up the rat droppings on the studs): 
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-2400w-corded-3-in-1-blower-vacuum-mulcher-blv-2401_p3380601

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @SPP 

Looks like you have been busy :smile:

Yes you can use a circular saw to chop up that sheeting, or just stand on it and snap it. Id bundle it neatly and then check your council for the cleanup rules as @MitchellMc  suggested. (There are some local builders tips that take builders rubbish from the general public around me so hopefully if you look around you will be able to cost it in case the council dosnt allow it in their cleanup service)

I will let the other guys suggest about the actual insulation type/width as I havnt installed any yet.

As to that gap at the top, can you show us a photo of the outside looking in? If it wasnt covered before was there just a gap on the outside?

As for a leaf blower to blow away the dust and rat droppings :smile: lol as much fun as it would be id probably go the route of a dustpan and broom plus brush :smile:

Dave

SPP
Cultivating a Following

@Dave-1 

Thanks. 

Regarding insulation, I can't show you a photo from the outside as I don't have easy access to the exterior. 

I can take another photo tomorrow standing on my ladder showing you what it looks like rom the inside. I was surprised when I pulled it off that there was only a gap. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SPP,

If that gap isn't exposed to the elements, then you might like to board up those gaps with some timber panels. Alternatively, if that area is exposed to the outside, then I'd recommend installing a weatherboard or fibre cement sheeting.

These Earthwool R2.5 90 x 430 x 1160mm 7.0m² HD Insulation SoundShield Wall Batt - 14 Pack will suit your cavity.

I'd suggest a wet and dry vacuum instead of the leaf blower.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SPP
Cultivating a Following

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-28 at 07.52.05_3e93d43c.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-01-28 at 07.52.05_aaf84844.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-01-28 at 07.52.06_0111057a.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-01-28 at 07.52.06_188802cf.jpg

Thanks @MitchellMc 

See attached the photos of the upper gap area. 

In terms of the work to be done, I have itemized it below: 

1) Asbestos Ceiling Remove
2) Electrical Re-wiring. 
3) Insulation. 
4) VJ Sheeting 

Now, when I ripped off the walls I discovered that the house became VERY HOT and uncomfortable. 

Is it possible to do the insulation before the re-wiring and once the electrician comes I can remove the insulation that is in their way and do a "spot fix"? This maybe a nice compromise between running the AIRCON all the time and pushing ahead with the renovation. 

Thanks Again! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It is possible to do the insulation before re-wiring @SPP. If it's only a couple of cables, I don't think the insulation will worry the sparky. But, if it's a ton of work they need to do it might be best to insulate after. If you are able to remove the insulation, then by all means, go ahead now.

I just wanted to double-check that you are having professional remove the asbestos ceiling and that you weren't going to expose yourself to it.

Mitchell

SPP
Cultivating a Following

@MitchellMc  

I am going to get the asbestos professionally removed. 

I want to get as much insulation in ASAP as the room is really hot and I think putting the batts in will help suck out some of the heat! 

SPP
Cultivating a Following

@MitchellMc@Dave-1@EricL  

How do I remove the attached types of screws? 

20240224_104437.jpg20240224_104457.jpg

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hi @SPP,

It’s a hollow wall anchor similar to this Ramset 1-8x50mm Plasterboard Gravity Toggle.

If you’re finding that it is just spinning without coming out, try getting something flat, like a chisel or flat head screw driver and gently levering it while unscrewing.

The pressure should stop the “toggle” on the other side rotating which would by why it isn’t unscrewing. 

Let me know how you go,

Jacob

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see you get a helpful reply from an experienced member @SPP. Please follow Jacob's advice and let us know if you have any further trouble.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects