Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hide cables underneath sideboard?

ventodimare
Building a Reputation

How to hide cables underneath sideboard?

20231027_132754[1].jpg

I would like to hide all the cables at the bottom of the sideboard with something elegant but not permanent & easy to pull off (in case I need to do something with the cables). 

Any suggestion?

Thanks all & happy Halloween 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Sideboard gap at the bottom

Afternoon @ventodimare 

How about buying two pieces of timber from Bunnings and attaching them as a L shape so the bottom part faces your cables behind the legs at the front. You could even stain the timber the same colour as your cabinet.

Vertical Piece 110 x 19mm 1.8m dar tasmanian oak select 1.8m 

Horizontal piece/bottom piece 65 x 32mm 1.8m dar tasmanian oak select 1.8m 

I only sugegst a thicker bottom so its easier to screw to and for more of an attachment footprint.

You could go for a cheaper pine cut for the thicker one that is hidden behind the 110mm oak really as no one will see it.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hide cables underneath sideboard?

Hello @ventodimare 

Thanks for sharing your question about tidying up the cables under your sideboard table.

It's great that you've received excellent suggestions from @Dave-1

My son had a similar situation under his computer table. He said that he wanted it nice and tidy, but it should still be flexible enough that any component can be easily changed and removed. I suggested putting the power boards in a Stahl Black Cable Tidy Unit or similar and the cables be bundled together using a D-Line 11 piece Black Cable Tidy Organiser Kit. The best part about this kit is that it is totally flexible, and cables can be added and removed without having to cut any cable straps as it uses Velcro to keep them together.

This type of tidy up will visually hide the power boards and the cables will look much neater when joined together. I also suggest using Click 200mm Marker Cable Tie to help you identify all the cables being used under your cabinet.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @EricL 

hahahah :smile: ahhh but I have a reason, I am a sparky and usually am over "tidying" cables by the end of teh day... So "Hidden from view" is as good as a cable tray or spiral wrap and so mucgh easier to chase the cables if needed. You know when you have a loose cable and go "Where doe sthis go to??" :smile: By all rights yep your suggestion is the better one :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dave-1 

If it was a long-term installation and none of the cables were to be moved for a long time, I would probably go with your suggestion and anchor the power board to the timber piece. But if it has to be accessed occasionally and needs to be plugged and unplugged a visual tidy up would probably suffice. But your recommendation is just as good.

Thank you

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects