Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gaps between ceiling cornice?

gitanjali022
Finding My Feet

How to fill gaps between ceiling cornice?

I have a wooden trim installed in my non living room areas, not sure what is that wooden trim. I need help in understanding

1) If I keep that wooden trim, how to fill the gap between ceiling and the trim.

2) If I undertake cornice installation, do I need to install the cornice on top of that wooden trim or it has to be removed first.

Note: 2nd image is from living room where cornice is installed and I plan to use similar cove cornice, if I undertake cornice installation.

IMG_6956.jpgIMG_6958.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to fill gaps between ceiling cornice?

Good Evening @gitanjali022 

For the timber trim you have you could use something like selleys 475g no more gaps interior multipurpose gap filler and run a bead in and along the top of that timber and the ceiling. If you are unfamilure using a caulking gun I would suggest to practice on a spare/old piece of timber :smile: I made a mess the first time I used one and the second time lol

If you go the route of replacing the trim with cornice I would suggest to remove the timber trim first. I have made up my own cornice and doing the corners can be interesting. I made a few test joins first (Not all walls are at right angles) I found it fairly easy and very rewarding doing it.

If you unsure of either I would wait a bit as using the no more gaps is liek a glue and will make it harder to take the trim down if you change your mind. Not impossible :smile: but possible a pain.

@EricL will be back tomorrow and he may have more of an accurate idea.

Dave

Thanks @Dave-1 for suggesting two options. If glue is kind of semi-permanent, I am a bit hesitant. My inclination is more towards the cornice route. Idea is I will try, if I can do it (I don't have much confidence as I am at browse and watch videos DIYer stage :laugh: ). If I am not able to do it and mess it up, I will just call in professionals to do the task.

Still, will wait for @EricL 's expert advice.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @gitanjali022 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your ceiling cornice. 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. If you are keen on replacing the timber moulding with cornice, I suggest buying one extra piece for you to practice on. The best tools to use get a perfect cornice cut are the Builders Edge Altamonte Mitre Template Plaster Tool or the Builders Edge Mitre Box.

Using these templates will get you familiarized with the direction you need to cut to get a perfect corner joint. I also suggest investing in a good saw such as the Intex PlasterX Cornice Saw This will cut through both plaster and wood with relative ease.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

I recommend practicing a few cuts on your extra piece to familiarize yourself with the product and how it behaves when being joined together.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects