Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix squeaky subfloor on the second storey?

reyre8
Growing in Experience

How to fix squeaky subfloor on the second storey?

Hi Community 🙂

I'm planning to fix the second storey subfloor in my house as it squeaks and make noises when walking on it 😰

To share some context, the house is from the 1970s. The second storey has carpet, but I can remove it, which pretty much gives me access to the subfloor (chipboard).

I have seen a couple of videos and talk to some builders as well in order to fix this issue. The consent goes pretty much around the following steps:

• Remove carpet.
  • Find the places where the subfloor squeaks and put screws following the nails line. If possible use a stud finder before drilling in order to know if there is a stud underneath.
  • If possible get some PVA wood glue, dilute it a bit, and put some over the chipboard joints.

I'm pretty much trying to collect (if you have done a similar fix) what have been your experiences (i.e. the fix actually worked, after some time the subfloor started squeaking again, and so forth).

Thanks

reyre8
Growing in Experience

Re: How to fix squeaky subfloor on the second storey?

Hi Dave 🙂

Check if this link works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdAC6Zw4JdE

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @reyre8 and please reach out if you are unable to resolve the issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @reyre8 

:surprised: Now that was worth watching. I hadnt even thought of that solution. Another one to file away :smile:

Thanks

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects