Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill holes in brick wall?

Becshouse
Growing in Experience

How to fill holes in brick wall?

IMG_6336.jpeg

I’ve just pulled a cupboard out of this space. It’s double brick, wondering if I can fill these holes in myself, or do I need a professional? If it’s something I could do, what products would I use? I’m assuming something more substantial than the filler I currently use for little patch up jobs. I’m getting it ready for wallpapering. 
many thanks! 
Thanks all! 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fill holes in brick wall?

Hello @Becshouse,

Apologies for the delay in answering your question. One of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts Mitch has had to unexpectedly take some urgent leave. Our other Bunnings guru @EricL will be back online later today and happy to assist. Let me also tag our ever-helpful members @JDE@Dave-1 and @mattylara027 to see if they have any thoughts.

While waiting, I recommend having a look at this Best Advice article: How do you repair holes in bricks for related advice.

Hope this helps. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Becshouse 

Sorry for my late response as well :smile: I had a flexi and have been oiling my timber deck (fun but intese as wanting to beat the rain)

Ive reapired a concrete edge to a patio with concretemate but dont think id use that for youir situation, As you are going to be walpareing over the hole I had a quick look and would go with this sika 1l high strength epoxy repair adhesive concrete fix kit 

It looks like it will be enough to fix the hole and no be partricular runny. (That would be my main concern with tyour wall)

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Becshouse 

My apologies for the late reply. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How do I fix this internal cement rendered wall? by @Demolition. In the discussion the damage to the wall is very similar to the one that you have. I also recommend having a look at the Lanko 5kg 136 Rapid Patching Mortar to fill up the hole on the wall.

My best advice is to mix only what you need to fix the damage on the wall. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Becshouse
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much team, looks like I can do it! 
Can that Rapid Patching Mortar be used over electrical cords? The electrician is coming to put the cord (“in a trench”) which I will then need to mortar over. This type of mortar won’t do any damage to the cords or anything, will it? 

Hi @Becshouse,

It might be best to chat with your electrician regarding compliant installation methods for the cable and appropriate ways to conceal it. My thoughts are that the cable would likely need to be encased in a conduit and run through the trench; you could then use the patching mortar to cover over the conduit.

Let me mention a couple of our electricians, @CSParnell and @MikeTNZ,  to get their thoughts. 

Mitchell

@MitchellMc chased in conduit is best for mechanical protection and the circuit depending on what type it is will need to be checked if it is is on a RCD. But consult with your licensed electrician prior to any works.

Becshouse
Growing in Experience

Hi again, another question. 
I’m going to replace the particle board on the floor. I think I need to buy the yellow tongue particle board, but it’s 3600mm long and I only need 1650 x 610. Can this be cut down in store or do I need to buy the full length and cut down myself? Secondly, can I use this same mortar to fix it to the floor once I remove the existing board? I have a cupboard/desk being built on top so keen to have a fresh base for them to work on. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @Becshouse 

I know that bunnings do cut timber to lengths but it might be an idea to check your local store. Yeah you would nee dto buy the whole length. 

With the mortar I would not be using that to stick the particle board down. What is underneath your existing particle board?

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Becshouse 

That's excellent advice coming from @Dave-1. The full sheet will need to be purchased. You can have it cut at the store for easy transport. Just be aware that the shop saws are not meant for precision cutting so there will be some discrepancy in the cut. I suggest having the board cut bigger to what you need and doing the precise cut at home.   

In regards to what adhesive to use on your floor, it's best to find out what is underneath your current floor. Otherwise, I would suggest Selleys 420g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Strong Adhesive to glue your flooring down. If it has been nailed or screwed down, I suggest observing carefully the shape and size of the fixing piece they used.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects