Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to drill into masonry wall?

ventodimare
Building a Reputation

How to drill into masonry wall?

Hello,

I have to make very precise holes in my Masonry wall. The center of the whole is marked with a cross (so I know exactly where to start).

When I use my current Drill bits with my impact Drill I 'wander' around and never get the hole exactly where I want.

I've read about Brad Drill bits: are there any good for Masonry walls? All the videos I've found show them used with wood.

Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: brad point Drill bit

Hi @ventodimare,

Check out this helpful guide: How to drill into brick. The drilling part is the same as any masonry, where it's best to drill a smaller hole as a guide instead of jumping straight to the full-sized hole. So, if you need a 12mm hole, drill a 3mm hole first. You'll find the smaller drillbits are far less likely to wander. I also start by first sticking the drill in reverse for several rotations to mark the intended drill spot. You could also take a centre punch and mark the location, giving your drill point something to centre on. That's not great for the centre punch but it could resolve your issue.

Also, I just wanted to check; as you mentioned, it is an impact drill. You might have meant a hammer drill, as impact drills are unsuitable for masonry drilling. They might work to a certain extent, but they are not designed for drilling into masonry.

Brad drill bits are specifically for timber, and I'm unaware of an alternative for masonry.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects