Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to darken solid birch?

TanSpam
Finding My Feet

How to darken solid birch?

Hi all, 

I've just bought the Ikea Mittback trestle legs (https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/mittback-trestle-birch-50459996/), which are made of solid birch. I'd like to make it slightly darker, more of a honey colour, to match the hue of the Freedom Storabed (https://www.freedom.com.au/product/23412859). 

What product do I use? I don't know the difference between stains, varnishes, and lacquers. Have tried to do a bit of reading online but I'm still stumped, as most articles are talking about plywood. 

TIA for your help!  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to darken solid birch?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TanSpam. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about matching timber colours.

The Mittback appears to be raw Birch, and the bed, Ash. Applying an oil-based polyurethane will give the timber a slightly darker look and a bit of a golden hue. It might not give you the full look you're going for, so it is best to do a test section in an inconspicuous location to ensure you're happy with the look before committing to the whole project. Apart from just a clear oil-based coat to add a honey hue, you could look at staining the timber. Have you assembled the units yet? If not, you could take a section of each into your nearest Bunnings store, and a helpful Paint Expert could take a look at them for you. 

You need to be very careful that you don't apply so much stain that it sends the Mittback timber darker than the bed's Ash. I suggest applying the stain with a semi-dry rag and building it up over several layers instead of applying a couple of thick coats with a paintbrush.

I'd also recommend you consider Feast Watson 250ml Scandinavian Oil as that could be all that's applied to the bed. Once again, I'd recommend you do a test section.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

This is really helpful, thanks so much! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TanSpam 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your trestle painted and ready for use.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects