Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut and drill a mounting rail?

ventodimare
Building a Reputation

How to cut and drill a mounting rail?

Hello all,

I have a mounting rail/upright (ikea boaxel is the product, please see pic attached). I need to: 

1) Cut the upright in pieces each 16 cm long

2) In each piece drill 2 holes. Two 8mm screws will attach the piece to the wall.

In the wall there are already holes will an 8mm plugs.

The mounting rail is Galvanized steel, Epoxy/polyester powder coating.

I have a corded dremel 3000 (with no accessories) and a ryobi Hammer Drill rpd800.

What Drills should I buy to get 1) 2)  done?

I saw that bunning has a multi-purpose dreamel tile cutter...not sure if this works with the material of my mounting wall?

1000007355.jpg

Thanks!

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: cut & drill in mounting wall/upright

Afternoon @ventodimare 

"The mounting rail is Galvanized steel, Epoxy/polyester powder coating."

I believe the most cost effective method of cutting this would be with a....hacksaw . Best to leave the Dremel tile cutter for tiles - not metal.

If you decide to buy a hacksaw at Bunnings, may I suggest also getting a drill bit set for your drilling requirements. Incredible value.

Cheers!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ventodimare,

A cutoff wheel in the Dremel would likely do the job. If you haven't previously used an angle grinder or the Dremel cutoff wheel, I suspect your cuts will not be particularly straight unless you rigged up some type of guide. The hacksaw @Noyade suggestion would likely give you a neater finish and be more controllable.

You could use the corded hammer drill to install the screws, but typically a drill driver would be easier to use.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you to @MitchellMc  (i''ve ordered a cut-off wheel ) and to @Noyade (bought Drills as per your suggestion).

Thanks!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects