Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut VJ panels?

Heath80
Getting Established

How to cut VJ panels?

Morning

I'm about to get cracking on installing several VJ panels in our entry hallway.

What would be the tool of choice for cutting these boards?

I like the idea of a plunge saw on rails to get the straightest cut possible or is that overkill?

Would a circular saw do?

Also I was thinking how to deal with external corners, is a mitre the way to go or better to go with aluminium angle?

Thanks in advance

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: cutting VJ panels

Hi @Heath80,

A plunge saw on rails is nice to have, especially if you'll be able to use it on other projects. However, a circular saw and a guide that you've positioned correctly will give you equally nice cuts. If you go for a circular, splurge on a fine tooth blade for the cleanest cuts. 

Will you be painting the panels? If so, you can butt joint the panels and fill any gaps with timber putty, then sand. That will save you from having to try and mitre the edge, which would be a pain. Aluminium angle would work too, or you could use a timber moulding if that suited your look better.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks heaps for all your advice

I picked up a circular saw today which I'm happy with

We have established skirting boards in our new house and just wondering if there still has to be 10mm gap at the bottom, were planning on just sitting the panels on top of the skirting. 

And can we get away with just using construction adhesive to secure the panels in place, I'd prefer to not start drilling holes in walls

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The installation guide for the product requires you to use mechanical fixings and allow an expansion gap at the base @Heath80. Quite a few of our members have not left the expansion gap and just used adhesive. I'm not aware of them experiencing any issues, though your product wouldn't be covered under warranty if an issue did occur.

You'll likely need to place at least a few holes in the wall for fixings to hold the sheets in position until the glue dries.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects