Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build home theatre riser platform?

Sergej
Just Starting Out

How to build home theatre riser platform?

How to build 4000mm x 1800mm x 340mm theatre riser platform with inbuilt steps on each corner?

theatre platform.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build 4000mm x 1800mm x 340mm theatre riser platform with inbuilt steps on each corner

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sergej. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a stage platform.

There are numerous ways you could go about building this platform. One of the most cost-effective would be to use 90 x 45mm Framing MGP10 H2 Blue Pine and 1800 x 600mm 19mm Flooring Particleboard Yellow Tongue. I've created some renderings below that provide an example of a relatively simple structure. I've used a joist over bearer system as the 180mm frame height puts us in the ballpark of your 340mm desired height. I suggest using Builders Edge 70 - 170mm Bigfoot Xl Pedestal Feet to make up the additional 160mm height. This will actually be 141mm once you minus the particle board top. The pedestal feet will make it super simple to level the structure. Alternatively, you could cut sections of the 90 x 45mm timber at the same length and use them to raise the structure.

The main reason for using the 90 x 45 double layer frame is that if you were to build the structure with, say, 240 x 45mm Framing MGP10 Untreated Pine, not only would it be substantially more expensive, but you'd still need to raise the frame to make up for the difference between your 240mm timber and the 340mm desired height.

Take a look at the renderings below and let me know what you think. As mentioned, this is just one of the many ways you could create the frame.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Frame1.pngFrame2 Top.pngFrame3 Side.png

Frame Clad.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to build 4000mm x 1800mm x 340mm theatre riser platform with inbuilt steps on each corner

Hi Mitch,

I am planning something similar but plan to use the bigger timer which will 140x35mm treated H3 (H2 is short in majority of the bunnings) and I have following questions:

1. Can I use H3 indoors? I have received different feedback from two Bunnings, so your advise will be the verdict lol

2. How much of a gap I will need to give between the footings?

I am planning to build two platforms and screw the three ends to the studs and then using joist and footings for the rest of the frame. 

size: 4.4mx1.1mx300mm

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tarun1arora. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about using treated Pine indoors.

I'm of the understanding that H3-treated timber can be used indoors, as I believe it's only CCA-treated H4 timber that has restrictions on its use. You might want to paint the timber just to be on the safe side. The manufacturer of the H3-treated timber would be the ultimate source of information on where their product can be used. Our team in-store can contact the supplier in your area and determine the suitability of this timber for your project. Or, if you can link me to the specific timber you'd like to use, I can contact the supplier for you after the weekend.

Typically, you'd space these joists 450mm apart and support them every 1200-1500mm.

Mitchell

DrKMcB
Getting Established

Hello Mitchell I’m actually wanting to remove a riser in our media room. We move in next week and I plan to convert it to my art studio. But the riser makes the space usage limited. It is carpeted. Any tips on removing it? There’s soo much online for adding one in, but found nothing about removing it! Tx u

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DrKMcB. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a riser.

You might like to post some images so our members have a better idea of what you're working with. Let me know if you need assistance uploading images.

Your best bet would be to consider how it was assembled. The first step would be pulling up coverings like the carpet. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to remove carpet. Once the structure is exposed, you must determine how the flooring panels were attached to the frame. Hopefully, there are screws which you can undo that will release the panels. When the panels are off, you'll begin disassembling the frame.

Depending on when the riser was installed, be prepared that the flooring under it might not match the rest of the room. 

Mitchell

DrKMcB
Getting Established

This is amazing thank you! I will get some photos together after I move in next week and create a post with the specifics from there. Thank you for giving me a head start on that, DIY floors are all new to me!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @DrKMcB, and reach out again if you get stuck!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects