Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix scratch in surface of cork tile floors?

CMCA
Just Starting Out

How to fix scratch in surface of cork tile floors?

Have found a mark in the cork tile flooring in a traffic area of the living room.  At first I thought it was a black scuff, but when looking close up - as you can see there is damages in the surface as if something sharp and heavy has been dragged along the floor?
Is there any way I can patch repair this without having to replace the tiles (goes across 2.3 tiles)?  I have included close up images and distant images.

Close up 1Close up 1Close up 2Close up 2View from standing above 1View from standing above 1View from standing above 2View from standing above 2

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix scratch in surface of cork tile floors?

Hello @CMCA 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about repairing your cork flooring.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Repairing cork flooring by @nick626. It was recommended in the discussion to lightly sand the damaged area where the grime has built up. You don't want to sand too hard, or you will end up creating a valley in your floor. Once it is nice and clean use your vacuum cleaner to remove all the dust and debris.

It was also suggested to use a combination of Timbermate wood fillers in different colours to mimic a cork effect, filling the holes. Waxstix can also be used to stipple the filler adding to the effect. Once you are happy with the result, sand the area flush with the surrounding tiles and apply a polyurethane floor coating.

It might take a while, but you should be able to reduce the darkness of the damage.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects