Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a loft bed?

smidd9
Just Starting Out

How to build a loft bed?

I want to try to build two loft beds. One for my 14yr old brother (A queen size), and one for my 11yr old sister (King single)

I'm trying to figure out what wood is the best fit, what dimensions I'll need and so on. I will add that I want there to be space underneath for a desk and shelf, but I won't need to build those in.

I am currently trying to use a post on the ikea website as a reference.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a loft bed?

Hello @smidd9

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a loft bed.

In order for us to give you good suggestions, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the location and the room size? This will give our members a chance to assess the area. We can then make recommendations on which way the beds should face.

Here are some bunk bed projects our Workshop members have shared:

• Kid's bedroom upgrade with bunk bed by @Tara86

• D.I.Y. kids loft bed by @Tara86.

This is a fantastic project as you are maximizing the space available in the room and providing them with a study area at the same time. Will the beds be in the same room or are they separate from each other? Any other information you can share about each bed's location would be very much appreciated.

We look forward to seeing the pictures.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @smidd9 

While we're waiting for your pictures and room sizes. Here is a sample sketch of how you could build a loft bed with a work table underneath.

If you would like to see it in another configuration, please let me know.

Eric

smidd9 bed1.jpgsmidd9 bed2.jpgsmidd9 bed3.jpg

sayh
Finding My Feet

Hi EricL

I love this design here! I know this is an old thread, but I am a DIY newbie and have tried looking everywhere else for this answer but seem to have hit a wall.

My question is: what type of timber should I be using for structures like this loft bed? Do I need structural/MGP pine or is DAR timber sufficient? Can timber shorts be used? 

Your expertise is much appreciated. Thanks. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sayh. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about timber selection.

Typically, it would be best to use a structural grade of timber like MGP10 for a project like this. However, since MGP10 is used predominantly in the construction industry, it's chemically treated to meet building codes, so you'll readily find H2-treated Pine. Structurally graded timber that is not treated would be hard to come by. In most cases, DAR Pine would be suitable, and although it doesn't carry a structural rating (as it's typically not used for construction purposes), it has little to no knots, which makes it also suitable for this kind of project.

Timber shorts could be used, but they often include many knots and defects as they are not a structural grade of timber but are still used for construction purposes in non-load-bearing applications. They could be used if you can find clear lengths with minimal knots, but I prefer to go with the DAR Pine.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects