Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dog crate buffet cabinet

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Dog crate buffet cabinet

Here is my latest project.

This is a dog crate buffet cabinet with a sliding mini barn door. This is used as a safe place with all pets, which they can use to sleep in.

IMG_1977.png

image.png

IMG_1975.pngcrate.png

The cabinet was constructed from recycled materials such as pine, reo steel bars and the  hardwood bench top.  

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Dog crate buffet cabinet

I absolutely love this project @LePallet!

Your pup looks like it would be absolutely safe and snuggled in its crate. Did you need to custom-make the hardware for the sliding door? Was it difficult to insert the steel bars?

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

love it and love that door !!!!! 😃

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Hi Kate

I managed to find a set of cabinet size rail track which was a perfect size for this job. 
And installing the reo bars was not as difficult as it looks. 
The way I did it I actually was able to insert them after the painting was finished. Which was drilling the holes at the top deeper than the bottom so when I go to slide the bar up, it clears the bottom beam then I can slide the bars back down into the bottom holes 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LePallet 

Let me tag @KatieC to make sure she sees the extra information about your dog crate buffet cabinet. I think it looks awesome and that sliding door is just fantastic.

Thank you very much for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

eeeanekucfxx
Finding My Feet

This is so good! I love it!

I'm looking into my own up/recycle updated crate area for my mum's dog currently. I really love the slider door and that it slides to a window type area! Such a sleek and classic look too! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @eeeanekucfxx 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @LePallet to make them aware of your kind words. I totally agree it is a fantastic design and the sliding door just finishes it off beautifully. If you ever decide to give this project a go, please make sure to post an update, I'm sure our members would be keen to see your take on the dog buffet cabinet.

Eric

juz90t
Finding My Feet

@LePallet 

This looks so good! Were there any plans or instructions for this project? Looking at making something similar for my dogs to sleep in at night 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @juz90t. It's brilliant to have you join us and wonderful to see you've been inspired by this project.

Let me tag @LePallet to see if he worked off plans for this project. I suspect he's likely put it together from scratch, and there are no plans available.

I've spent some time and put a few renderings together for you. Hopefully, they should give you an idea of how to go about constructing a similar unit. I'd suggest using DAR Pine for the frame and door, as it comes primed and is all very straight. You can use MDF panels for the bottom and sides. The back looks to be made from VJ panelling. We have a variety of panels that you can use for the top.

Please let me know if you have any questions, as I'd be more than happy to assist you with the build.

Mitchell

D1.pngD2.pngD3.pngD4.pngD5.pngD6.png

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

@MitchellMc i really like that program you have there. Can I ask what your unsing.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects