Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled dining table

twocutekelpies
Making a Splash

Upcycled dining table

Our dining table and chairs had seen better days and I was hating the "orange" varnish look so I bit the bullet and changed it.

Materials

Monocel Jarrah Stain and Varnish https://www.bunnings.com.au/bondall-1l-jarrah-monocel-stain-and-varnish_p1524962

Rustoleum Linen White Chalk Paint https://www.bunnings.com.au/rust-oleum-887ml-linen-white-chalked-ultra-matt-paint_p1580858 

Duramax Chalk Paint https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-340g-duramax-parisian-white-chalk-finish-spray-paint_p1400959 

Various grits of sand paper for 1/3 sheet sander, orbital sander and hand sanding 

4mm microfibre rollers for both paint and varnish application

paint brush for cutting in paint

Glitz bees wax polish https://www.bunnings.com.au/glitz-200g-beeswax-polish_p4460472

Tools

Screw driver to disassemble chairs and table

1/3 sheet sander for table edges (easier than orbital)

125mm orbital sander for removing varnish from table top and chair tops

Steps

Step 1

We've had this table for a number of years and quite a few house moves. It's been neglected for a long time. I wasn't sure how well it would come up with a sand and varnish but had nothing to lose in trying.

20230809_080624.jpg20230809_080457.jpg

Step 2

I didn't want a house full of dust so I took the table apart and took it downstairs to sand.
I started with 40g paper on an orbital sander until I was back to bare pine, then moved up to 120g to smooth the surface and finally 240g. I found the orbital awkward working on the edge of the table so used a 1/3 sheet sander for that. I only lightly sanded the legs as my plan was to paint them. I also had to fill the many scratches and teeth marks from when our dogs were puppies. 

20230809_084440.jpg20230809_090743.jpg20230809_114439.jpg

Step 3

As I was working solo, I didn't want to man-handle the finished job so I reassembled the table upstairs on a drop cloth.
After wiping down the surfaces of dust etc, I did two coats of chalk paint, sanding lightly between coats and 3 coats of stain and varnish, also sanding lightly between coats. The first coat was diluted with turps per instructions on the can. 

20230809_141801.jpg20230809_150353.jpg20230810_161028.jpg

Step 4

Being happy with how the table turned out, I dug the chairs out of the spare room (not being used as we don't really have a dining area yet).

I found these harder to paint because of all the nooks and crannies. I had heard that the spray cans of Chalk Paint didn't have very good coverage per can so having plenty of the Rustoleum paint left, I did my best to get two coats of paint on the chairs, sanding between coats, then sanded again and spray painted the final coat. Not being a paint expert, not sure this was right or not but time will tell. 

20230810_103716.jpg20230810_110941.jpg20230819_110923.jpg20230819_113223.jpg

Step 5

Before returning the dining table and chairs to service, I have given the chalk paint a coat of bees wax for protection. 

20230826_115522.jpg20230826_115607.jpg

Step 6

If I were to do this project again. I'm not sure I would opt for the chalk paint again, I think I'd go for a more hard wearing paint. No regrets though, sometimes you just have to trial things. I have to say, I'm now in love with my table setting!

Instagram @twocutekelpies
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upcycled dining table

Beautiful work there, @twocutekelpies! You've breathed new life into an aged piece of furniture and should be proud of your efforts. I love the new look; so much better than that orange-toned coating.

Many thanks for sharing, and I look forward to your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good afternoon @twocutekelpies 

Thats a really nice upmarket look! Really surprised at how nicely the top of the table and legs have come up, I should just look at old pine furniture with that distinctive dated colouring and go "What can it become?" :smile: Really nice work and love the amount of effort you have done! 

Those chairs, man how long did they take?

Dave

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @twocutekelpies

What a good job you have done, when I was choosing a stain colour I looked at the Jarrah finish but wasn’t sure of the final look, I love the finish you have achieved, I will certainly be trying that colour stain in my next project, I also like the white finished too, well done, always good to see rejuvenated projects.😀

Thanks Mitchell 😊

Thanks Dave, I'm so happy with how it all turned out. The chairs were surprisingly quick to prep, orbital sander on the seats made fast work of removing all the varnish then I just key sanded the remainder over a few days (shoulder ache prevented me from doing them all in one day). I found the painting a bit finicky but was thankful I didn't have the older style chairs with the more detailed wood-turned rounded pieces.  

Cheers Joe, I went in to buy Walnut then saw the sample piece for Jarrah and changed my mind, very happy with it but I think I would have been happy with either one especially over the original. 😊  

Instagram @twocutekelpies
BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

Absolutely magnificent! Great job @twocutekelpies 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects