Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing kitchen and bathroom benchtops - River Red Gum timber

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Replacing kitchen and bathroom benchtops - River Red Gum timber

Hi folks, I haven't posted much or commented for a while.  Have had a few health issues. 

I have been working on my replacement of my kitchen and bathroom bench tops, from Laminate to Live Edge River Red Gum timber slabs.  Which as you can imagine take a bit more work than you average bench tops, more so as it's the very first time I've tackled such a mammoth task.

So thought I would share some of what I've been working on.

Any tips or handy hints are greatly appreciated.

Shopping for slabs Nov 2019Shopping for slabs Nov 2019A bit rough around the edges  but should come up goodA bit rough around the edges but should come up goodHome at last ~ not the work beginsHome at last ~ not the work beginsSlab for vanity top close to sealingSlab for vanity top close to sealingCut out bits from their slabsCut out bits from their slabsStarting to look goodStarting to look goodBreakfast bar with sink cut out bogged and almost ready to sealBreakfast bar with sink cut out bogged and almost ready to sealEnd of breakfast bar slab, looking forward to seeing how this comes upEnd of breakfast bar slab, looking forward to seeing how this comes upHot plates side cut out, bogged and ready for another sand then sealerHot plates side cut out, bogged and ready for another sand then sealer2 Coats of sealer underneath side for Vanity area2 Coats of sealer underneath side for Vanity area20200507_155732.jpg

1st top coat on sink vanity slab.

I still have a ways to go, but I feel like I have the hardest under my belt ~ besides finding some muscles to move them from my messy shed to the house.  So far I only have the under side of the bench tops sealed and one top coat of marine grade varnish on the underside of my vanity slab.

Wish me luck.

Old Gall

Re: What have you been doing while in self isolation?

@EricL @MitchellMc 

I was sure I added the updated bathroom pictures but couldn't find them on this post.

The sad thing is I am now in the process of moving and all my hard work will be left behind for someone else to enjoy.  I did enjoy the journey.  I have added a few more pictures of the bathroom reno.  I also completed what I have in the kitchen as well.  The live edge river red gum came up amazing.  I adore real timber..   

Updated shower *(opps upside down)Updated shower *(opps upside down)Completed vanity areaCompleted vanity areaRemove lg mirror, replaced with two round ones and spot lights above eachRemove lg mirror, replaced with two round ones and spot lights above eachHad an amazing fellow add a niche and re-tile after a total revampHad an amazing fellow add a niche and re-tile after a total revampKitchen Live edge river redgum #just adore real timber#Kitchen Live edge river redgum #just adore real timber#Ran out of time, to complete live edge for this side. Went a different way.Ran out of time, to complete live edge for this side. Went a different way.Adore this blue, darker than in real lifeAdore this blue, darker than in real lifeThis is a bit closer to the real blue ~ Live edge river redgum came up amazing.This is a bit closer to the real blue ~ Live edge river redgum came up amazing.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Old-gal24 

Thank you very much for the photo update! The bathroom and kitchen upgrade look fantastic, and the live edge benchtop has turned out beautifully. It is a shame that you are moving, but I'm sure the next people to see these upgrades will be very impressed.

Again, thank you for sharing such wonderful projects.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @EricL  that means a great deal to me, more so coming from you. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Everything looks fantastic @Old-gal24 👍

@EricL   Thank you for your compliment, means a great deal from folks on this site as there are so many amazing ideas/support and feedback.  That is why I love this group so much. 

Over the years, I may not always comment, but when ever I have a new job to tackle, I come in here first and search for others who have either posted there work, asked for advice or one of the amazing posts that staff have added to the amazing wealth of knowledge here.

It's always a great backstop for me, as I tend to doubt my own ability.  More so since my pop passed away a few years ago now, as he was my rock, my support and the best handyman/tradesman I have ever known.  He would tackle anything and everything and was meticulous in doing so. I miss him and his worldly advice, more so when I need to start a job that I haven't tackled before.

Once again many thanks to you all, you do an amazing job.

Old gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects