Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Marble-look benchtop using paint

raceytrace
Having an Impact

Marble-look benchtop using paint

I wanted to have the marble look for my benchtop, but not the hassle (or price) of removing and replacing the whole benchtop. 

I watched a few different techniques on Youtube and found this method to be the easiest with the best result.

Steps

Step 1

step one benchtop.jpg

Thoroughly clean the benchtop with sugarsoap.

Then sand the benchtop to take off the sheen.

Then wash again to remove the sanding dust.

Ensure the benchtop is completely clean and dry.

Step 2

tape up bench.jpg

Tape up the edges of the benchtop with painters tape.

Tape the drop sheets to cover the cupboards.

Use newspaper to cover any sinks or stovetops.

Step 3

first coat.jpg

Apply the undercoat using the 100mm microfibre roller.  I used the Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 as it's something I had already, and can be used on tiles, cupboards, frames and benchtops... very versatile and budget friendly!

Next apply two coats of the gloss white paint.  I used the White Knight tile and laminate paint (again so I could use for both the benchtop and the tiled backsplash).

Step 4

sponge marble.jpg

Mix up in a small cup a blend of 1 part glaze, 1 part water and 1 part grey paint  (from the sample pot) mixed with some white tile paint. The aim is to have a light grey colour. 

(later you will make a dark grey glaze).

Pour this glaze mix onto a plate or bowl.

Use the sponge to stamp down and around in diagonal patterns using images of marble as inspiration.

Make sure to continue the pattern over the edges to make it look realistic.

Work in small sections at a time.

Use a dry, clean rag to blot and blend the edges to create a subtle effect. (This will give depth to the finished effect).

At this point I did struggle a little with the paint not sticking to the base coat and bubbling a little.  I found that once I squashed the paint in with the rag it seemed to stick better, and second coats worked better.

Step 5

feathered.jpg

Wait for the first layer to dry before moving to the next step.

Add more glaze to a plate and dip the feather in the paint until covered.

Wipe the excess onto some paper and start in one corner working diagonally to drag twirling patterns with the feather to create veins. (use images for inspiration)

Working quickly, whist still wet, use a thick, dry brush to stamp at the veins and create a cloudy look. (keep wiping the brush clean on a rag).

Work in small sections at a time, and continue over the edges)

Step 6

Make up a dark grey glaze (same as before but no white paint added).

Using the feather, add darker highlights to small sections to add dimension.

(The key to this step is knowing when to stop!!!)

Step 7

Mix up a white glaze, 1 part white paint and 3 parts water.

Using the sponge brush spread a thin coat over the benchtop working in sections at a time.

Use a dry, clean rag to blot the glaze in random diagonal sections, which will lift up some white sections, and leave others cloudy, giving more dimension.

Step 8

To finish, give it a very light sand using wet and dry sandpaper just to remove any raised sections.

Wipe clean.

Once dry, apply two coats of the sealing top coat.  I used the Dulux renovation range satin clear coat. (this was the cheaper option on the shelf, and I didn't experience any problems with mixing and matching my brands of undercoat, paint and sealer to get the best value).

step one benchtop.jpgfinshed kitchen.jpg

Other projects in this kitchen update:

Rangehood refresh

Kitchen splashback refresh

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create a marble look benchtop with paint

Hi @raceytrace 

Wow! This is one project that is definitely going into my bookmarks. Your paint and artistic skills are just outstanding, it really looks like a marble finish. Your attention detail is just spot on as I can see that you've run the marble lines down the front edges as well. What was the timing interval between your coating effects? How long did the entire painting project take?

Thank you so much for sharing such an inspirational project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric!  All up this project was completed over a week.  One coat each day (undercoat, 2x top coat), then the two days for the marbling, then two days for the two sealing coats.

Total cost was under $300.

WOW !! raceytrace..What a fantastic looking benchtop..

Who needs marble when you can do that.!!  You've actually inspired me to do similarly for  my own benchtops..

Congratulations and good luck with your entry..

Prof...

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Marble-look benchtop using paint

@raceytrace  Congratulations, what a fantastic job, love the design, a great achievement, if you hadn’t told us that you did the marble finish on the bench, I’m sure everyone would have thought that you had installed the real thing. I just like to also mention the work you have done to the rest of the kitchen, a complete transformation, well done.

sareh
Cultivating a Following

Re: Marble-look benchtop using paint

@raceytrace this is amazing!!! One word ... talent!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects