Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Working with Pressed Metal - splash backs kitchen or bathrooms? OR Live Edge slabs for bench tops?

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Working with Pressed Metal - splash backs kitchen or bathrooms? OR Live Edge slabs for bench tops?

20191205_103716.jpg20191205_103931.jpg20191205_111201.jpgHello folks,

1st  Sorry I've been a bit lax in replying to posts and comments.  Hot DRY start to this year.  Along with all the horrid fires going on.

All the very best to everyone for a better 2020 and many thanks to @Jason for guiding us L platers in the best direction for advice.

I have started my Kitchen - Bathroom Vanity make over and I'm torn in which way to go on a few things.

I finally found my slabs of timber late last year and in the process of having them sanded back ready to dress ? do I Resin, oil or varnish, I haven't decided on that one just yet !  *(yes slack of me, need more research)  But will get there.

I have small amounts of tile splash back, but wonder where I should go from here.  

1) Paint over all existing tiles

2) Leave existing tiles, lay new tiles over the top.

3) Take tiles down and replace tiles (as existing tiles are rather dated).

4) Something I love the look of Pressed Metal - painted, but have never  used pressed metal or laid it.

4b) Do I lay the Pressed metal over the existing tiles?

I plan to lay my new slabs of River Red Gum over the top of my existing bench top as it's a bit low for me, so I will gain height, but it will mean I have to sort what I am going to do re; my splash backs as I need to know exact measurements prior to cutting my slabs and putting them into place, as they will need to butt up against the tiles already there. *(if I leave the tiles there - haven't decided).

Yes folks, lots of questions, but I don't have my pop to run things through anymore and I value the opinion of so many of the folks on this site.

So a great big thanks in advance for any advice anyone on here might have to help this silly oldgal make up her informed mind on the best way to go with some of the many jobs I have ahead of me this year.

Cheers

Old gal

ps. will load photos as I go on this one.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Has anyone used pressed metal for a splash back in their kitchen or bathrooms? HELP

Hey @gippslandhome,

Would you like to kick off the discussion for @Old-gal24 on this thread?

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Has anyone used pressed metal for a splash back in their kitchen or bathrooms? HELP

Thank you @Jason  I would appreciate any advice on this subject I can get.

Old Gal

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: Working with Pressed Metal - splash backs kitchen or bathrooms? OR Live Edge slabs for bench top

@Old-gal24 In regards to your question about the live edge slabs, it may be answered by if there are any voids in the timber. So if there are knots and voids you may need to use a resin to fill these if you want a smooth finish. If there are no voids then an oil or polish is an option. Varnish is great but can easily scratch, if you are to varnish make sure you get something designed for bench tops. Even then I have been dissapointed with a particular water based product which left a lovely finish, but was not durable in the slightest (not saying that is all water-based top coats though).

I haven't personally tried this (though I have some experiences with resins, especially trying to fix mistakes) but take a look at watson glass finish it's still a two part system, though it should contain equal part bottles you just mix together. Any mistake i've made with resins have come down to how much catalyst i've put in, this product will take the guess work out of it.

"I have small amounts of tile splash back, but wonder where I should go from here"

Personally I don't like painted tiles, unless you are going for a quick fix, just my personal preference though.

I would take off the existing tiles and replace, do the job once and that way it is finished. You could tile over if the existing are sound, but my preference would be to remove them.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't lay the pressed metal over the tile, you may need to de-gloss the tile with some coarse sand paper in order for the construction adhesive to bind to them. Also bare in mind you will need to finish the top edge somehow as you may see the tile behind.

Hope that helps in some regard.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Re: Working with Pressed Metal - splash backs kitchen or bathrooms? OR Live Edge slabs for bench top

Hello @MitchellM  @Jason 

I am extremely sorry I didn't get back to you either of you regarding these comments some 3 years back now.   Live hasn't really gone to plan and things were put on a massive LONG hold.  BUT I am awaiting the spring weather to arrive and get into my slabs so I can complete my kitchen.   Still of two minds on what to do with the splash backs just yet, thinking of panels to save time and labour.  Putting them over the tiles and as @MitchellM  mentioned roughing up the tiles and laying something over the top.  I have been looking through the extensive range on offer at Bunnings trying to get some inspiration, and to help me make up my mind.   I finished up my bathroom 1st and extremely happy with the way it came out.  I have also completed one on the slabs in my walk through kitchen.  BUT sadly while trying to get some help with the biggest slap over 3mt x 1mt  I hired a few fellas to help me flip it over and one of them grabbed the slab through the cut out for the sink and the slap cracked.. *(could have burst into tears, but didn't).  hence things being on hold trying to get the slab repaired.  Only me here and every time I have to move the slab or flip it I have to hire someone to help me..  BUT have since repaired the slab and in the throws of filling the large crack with resin, as till then I was using black oxide and car bog.. *(as advised) Came up awesome.  Now I've discovered while my slab has been sitting for so long on one side it's developed a bit of a cup in it, so my next hurdle, but if it's the last thing I do in the house, I plan to have it completed and installed before Christmas.  THIS YEAR now 2023.  Once again sorry I missed replying to your advice/suggestions.

This Old-gal24In repairIn repairMore of the crackMore of the crackRepairs in progressRepairs in progress

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Old-gal24 

Thank you so much for the update on your benchtop. Sometimes things get in the way of a good renovation. I'm glad you haven't given up on your plans. Make sure to keep posting your progress, we'll be right here looking forward to reading them.

If you need assistance with anything else, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects