Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revamp wooden table?

relm87
Finding My Feet

How to revamp wooden table?

image.jpg

Hello, very new to DIY but I have a large wooden table that I would like to paint as it has seen better days! I was thinking of painting it with black chalk paint and putting a top coat on top. Not sure if that is the best paint to use on a dining table? Also, would I need to sand it first? Any tips about the best paint to use (chalk paint or otherwise - prefer a matt look rather than too shiny) , tools needed, techniques for a beginner and how to ensure that the paint stays durable with little kids. Any help would be highly appreciated. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to revamp wooden table

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @relm87. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a table.

To paint your table, you'd need to at least sand back any of the gloss sheen to the varnish with 180-grit sandpaper. You could then undercoat the table with Zinsser 946ml B-I-N Primer Sealer Stain Killer and topcoat it with Rustoleum Chalk effects. After the topcoat, I recommend using Rust-Oleum Clear Matt Chalked Protective Topcoat, which will provide some level of durability. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to paint over varnished timber.

Regarding whether chalk paint is the best choice for a tabletop, enamel paint would likely be more durable. However, painting any working surface with any paint comes with risks, and you should ensure that any sharp or rough objects are isolated from the surface; placemats are a must.

The other option you might like to consider that's very much on trend right now is painting the legs of the table and sanding back the top to expose the natural timber. The top can then be coated with a clear matt varnish for protection.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc @Thankyou so much for your reply. Will definitely look into those products and have a go when I have some free time. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @relm87, and please reach out again if you require further assistance. I can't wait to see your results!

Mitchell

@MitchellMc I have dulux precision white maximum strength primer at home. Would that work well as a primer for both chalk paint or enamel paint? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It would work fine for enamel paint @relm87. Although, it is not the recommend primer for Rustoleum Chalked paint, the Zinsser product is. It would most likely be fine, but is perhaps not tested by the manufacturer as is why they're calling for a specific primer.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects