Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a cupboard hinge?

rod80
Just Starting Out

How to replace a cupboard hinge?

does anyone know where I can get one of these hinges

17040727789077722273188752675631.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: does anyone know where I can get one of these hinges

Hi  @rod80 

Bunning has several sorts of cupboard  hinge  that are not identical and have different screw points.  But will be 100% functional and should have same size round  insert.

So bring your hinge in and  ask staff for a cloest match Looking at  hinge dimentions and reach Length of arms etc. Diameter of  hole  etc.

Kaboodle Standard Door Hinge - 1 Pair I/N: 2662005  $13.50 

I would  consider replacing top and bottom hinge so they work perfectly in sync.

Position hinge on the door and mark screw holes then predrill screw  hole with tiny pilot holes.  Trying to screw into melanine with a screw  directly is slippery.

Happy new year

Hi

Thanks for the info. I did take the hinge in to bunnings. The problem is in the cupboard there is a not sure what it's call but lock the hinge in. And not sure if I can remove it. ( worried I might damage the cupboard)

17040900363444549857717389288939.jpg

hi @rod80 

I never  seen a metal fitting like that before .  That  new one for me.

The bottom  line is as long as the new hinge  round  bit fits  inside that metal ring  and it is  sitting flush with the door surface there is no problem as the Bunnings  hinges have there own screw  mounting points.

No  need to disturb insert.

The  metal Insert  I am assuming dosnt have any protrusions on the other side?

So I am wondering if it is just glued in .

UMMM  I am  wondering if you used  pliers on the outer edges of those rectangular pins  would squeezing them towards each other  cause the  metal ring to pop out.  

I further notice the outer ring is segmented so a small screw drive could push the segmentations away for the wood inner edge helping  release the metal.

If  glue is involved I would heat the metal to hot ,  not  red hot,   We dont  want the wood smoking  so the glue releases. 

Can you reinsert old hinge and lock it in as it will help in pulling the metal   ring out possibly.

Sorry  @rod80  I dont have the instant answers  here.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rod80. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing a cupboard hinge.

@Jewelleryrescue is on the money there; try taking a small flathead screwdriver and bending those outside teeth towards the middle. Then, with needlenosed pliers, try gripping the teeth and pulling the fitting out. I suspect it's just a tight press fit. Be careful not to damage your door in the process.

In answer to your question, I am unaware of where you could get that exact hinge. Unless you can work out the manufacturer, then you'd need to remove the insert in the door and use a generic replacement.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects