Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove this kickboard?

space
Just Starting Out

How to remove this kickboard?

hello, I'm new to the group can someone please help me how to remove the kickboard? Im removing the vinyl myself I finished doing it in the lounge with no trouble, except when I did it in the kitchen I have some parts I can't remove because it's under the kickboard. I found screws inside cabinet 1 on each end and was wondering if that's the one I need to unscrew for me to remove the kickboard but need advice before I end up breaking my kitchen. Thank you in advance

20230503_003322.jpg

20230503_003355.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to remove this kickboard?

Hi @space,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined and thank you for your question about removing your kickboard so you can keep going with your flooring upgrade. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist with your question, but let me tag our knowledgeable members @TedBear@Marty_greenshed, and @diy_hausdesigns to check if they have some advice. 

Please keep us updated on your flooring journey, it may even make it into one of our great Top Ideas articles like 5 ways to revamp your floors one day. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Logic would say remove the screws.

That would have to be the largest set back of a kickboard I have seen, mine are around 38mm from the door face give or take a few mm.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @space @, I agree with @Brad . it is unusual to have screws in the floor of a cabinet, so that's the most likely reason for those.
Some kickboards are held on by clips, and others are made as part of the plinth that the cupboards sit on and are not removable (in which case you'd need to cut them off with a Multi-tool saw and replace entirely). Hopefully yours will come off with removal of those screws.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @space 

Thanks for sharing your question about your kickboard. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Brad and @TedBear. I agree with their assessment, it looks like the screws are holding the kickboard in place.  

Looking at the first photo that you posted, it seems that there is a gap at the bottom of the kickboard. I suggest sliding an Allen key under the kickboard to hook it from behind. You can then use locking pliers to hold on to the key allowing you to pull the kickboard out.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles while working on your renovation project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Newbie2k23
Cultivating a Following

Thank you all i forgot to update this

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Newbie2k23 

Thanks for getting back to us, have you managed to remove the kickboard and replace your flooring? Would it be possible for you post a photo of your new flooring? I'm sure our members would be keen to see what it looks like.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects