Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect Mahogany table?

aef74
Just Starting Out

How to protect Mahogany table?

I have a beautiful mahogany table. I downsized and kept this table as only table so it is getting used all the time, not just formally and it’s not working. I’m having kittens every time a cup gets put on it and it now has a few dents plus the varnish has cracked cosmetically. End of year I am moving again and it really won’t suit new house.  I have tried to sell it but can not get anything like what it is worth. I’m thinking of stripping it back, at least the top, trying to lighten the wood and finishing it with something that is easy care? It is going in a beach side home with light wooden floor boards so needs to really - well, not be monogamy! I know it’s a bit sacrilegios but I can’t sell it and I need a table. I plan on replacing chairs.  What products would you use to strip, is it possible to bleach wood or a stain to lighten then what to reseal it with to make it suitable for everyday. Im an absolute beginner- am I biting off more than I can chew.

IMG_5571.jpeg

IMG_5572.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to protect Mahogany table?

Hello @aef74 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repainting your mahogany table.

I'm sorry to hear that you could not get a good price for your table set. It looks you've taken care of it very well and having a complete original set should have given you a good base price to start with. It would be a shame to split up the set, have you considered stripping the chairs finish so that they will match the tables proposed new profile? 

Stripping the top seal of the table will require you to sand it off. However, before you begin, I suggest finding a location where you can make a lot of mess. Stripping the tabletop will generate a lot of saw dust and at the same time the table will need to be protected from the elements to prevent the table from being exposed to excessive moisture. 

I propose in investing in an orbital sander to give your table a nice uniform finish. Once the tables surface has been prepared all that's left is to choose a sealer of your choice. Please note that the table must be protected from wind and rain while the sealer cures. If you decide to strip the chairs as well, I recommend splitting the project and doing the table first and then the chairs.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture.

Here are some amazing upcycling projects our Workshop members have shared:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to protect Mahogany table?

Hello @aef74 

My apologies for forgetting to recommend a product to seal your table. I suggest having a look at Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish. It is a highly durable stain-resistant and fast-drying varnish that is safe for use on living area and kitchen timber benchtops when the surface is fully cured. Once fully cured, it is resistant to chemicals, oils and heat from hot cups/mugs.

However, if your mahogany timber has a very strong colour to it, I suggest thinking about limewashing the surface. 

Here is an excellent step-by-step guide:   How to lime wash timber furniture by @prettyliving 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects