Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove ceramic cooktop?

dchur
Building a Reputation

How to remove ceramic cooktop?

Hey team,

Feeling at a bit of an impasse here.

We have an Esatto ceramic cook top and one of the elements has given up. We decided to get a new cooktop but first off want to remove this one to verify the cavity size and dimensions available as well as the wiring situation (we're in a unit).

I've gone around the entire edge of the unit and removed the sealer using a stanley knife. I'm able to move the knife along the length of all 3 sides that aren't against the wall.

For the life of me I cannot lift this thing up. I tried using a paint scraper to get some purchase but I can't seem to lift it up. I even used a suction cup to try and lift it up that way but it literally will not budge, there's no way that it wouldn't lift up with me using the suction cup so it makes me think there's something else going on?

Do I need to remove the oven to access the cavity behind it?

75a7f47e-ad73-4f63-a0de-4d62f436b3b9.jfif

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Unable to remove ceramic cook top

Hi @dchur,

I do note in the instructions that your Esatto cooktop comes fitted with the sealing strip already attached to the underside of the cooktop. It mentions not to use a silicon sealant to seal the appliance against the aperture, as this will make it difficult to remove the cooktop from the aperture in the future, particularly if it needs to be serviced. So, if silicone has been used, this could be the cause of your issue.

There is a chance that there are retaining clips on the underside of the unit that need to be accessed by removing the oven. However, there is no mention of those in the installation instructions.

In case it assists, the instructions list the required cutout of the benchtop as 560 x 485mm.

Given this is an electrical appliance, I'd recommend you enlist the services of a professional to remove the current unit and install your new unit.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dchur
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitchell,

I think you're onto something, there's definitely some sort of retaining clip underneath. I've purchased a new unit (Westinghouse) and the installer is going to remove the old one by removing the oven.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks again, and always!

dchur
Building a Reputation

Update:

There were clips under the unit that meant we needed to remove the oven to access them. All done! :laugh:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for the update, @dchur. Glad to hear you got it all sorted!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects