Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a tower step stool?

DonC
Finding My Feet

How to paint a tower step stool?

Hi, we bought a learning tower step stool for our toddler second-hand.  It basically looks like this model: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gisborne/other-safety/toddler-new-pine-timber-activity-kitchen-tower...

We want to paint it white.  Going to get used around the kitchen so ideally durable and that can be easily wiped down. 

What is the best paint for this job? 

Do we need a primer or could we just use two coats of paint?
Do we need a clear protective finish over the top?

Thanks in advance

image.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which Paint To Use For A Learning Tower Step Stool

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DonC. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a step stool.

A paint such as Dulux Aquanamel would be fine and quite durable. There is no need for a topcoat, but it might need touching up every few years if it receives plenty of knocks against hard edges. I would recommend you use a primer as it will help your paint adhere to the timber and provide the most robust finish.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much for your response @MitchellMc

With the Aquanamel, would the high-gloss be more durable than semi or low-gloss?

Would a chalk paint be an option or would it not be durable enough?

The high gloss will be easier to wipe down. Semi gloss is a bit harder to clean and will wear off much more quickly. Chalk paint will look dirty as soon as your child is within 2m and it's even more difficult to clean. The lack of shine means that they are more porous surfaces, while high gloss will clean up with just a quick wipe down with water and a rag.

Makes sense, thank you @kornborg 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DonC 

Thats excellent advice coming from @kornborg. Please make sure to post an update once you've painted the step stool. I'm sure our members will be keen to see what it looks like once the gloss paint has been applied.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects