Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to makeover a kitchen on a budget?

Wendy241
Just Starting Out

How to makeover a kitchen on a budget?

Hi 

I would like some advice for a novice on a budget.. doing a house up to sell.  I would like to update the beige and yellow tiled backsplash, preferably with some thing that can be stuck on over top of tiles. I would also like to redo the bright yellow laminate bench top and oak wooden kitchen cupboards. 
Any suggestions and possible overall cost would be appreciated, 

Msny thanks in advance 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to makeover a kitchen on a budget?

Hello @Wendy241 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your kitchen renovation.

Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of your kitchen? It will give our members a chance to assess its condition. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

A quick way to revamp your kitchen on a budget is by using paint. All the critical parts can be painted such as the doors, benchtop and the splashback as well. It is possible to cover the tiles with an acrylic splashback, but one issue that keeps happening is deep shadows occurring behind the splashback itself. 

It is possible to tile over the existing tiles on your splash back, but it does make the splash back itself quite thick and quite noticeable at the side. I propose having a look at the Dulux Renovation Range. It is easy to apply and provides a beautiful, durable, scratch, chip and scuff-resistant finish that you can achieve yourself.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular kitchen projects

Here are some amazing kitchen paint revamps our Workshop members have shared:

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint laminate kitchen cabinets

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno @daniknight4 and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to makeover a kitchen on a budget?

Hi @Wendy241,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects from our wonderful members.

In addition to Eric's comprehensive reply, I just thought I'd add a couple of other resources I think you will find helpful and inspiring:

Looking forward to seeing what you can achieve. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects