Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install floating alcove shelves?

Shotime
Growing in Experience

How to install floating alcove shelves?

Would like to install some shelves here, lining them up with the cabinent to the right.

Will it be fairly secure if I install it against the cabinent to the left and the cabinent on the right (red indicates where the screws would go?

357634229_1280535499515026_2402857349843319271_n.jpg

The wall are tiles so prefer not to drill them.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Installing floating/alcove shelves

Hello @Shotime 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing your shelves.

What kind of timber will you be using for your shelves? I only ask as some materials such as melamine need extra support. This goes the same for MDF and any other form of particle board. I recommend adding Zenith 25mm Stainless Steel Angle Bracket along with Carinya 57 x 17 x 2mm Zinc Mending Plate to support the shelves.

However, if you are using pine boards, I suggest using a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig 310 to drill mounting holes on the surface of the panel. Keep in mind though that the shelves are not meant to carry heavy items.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shotime
Growing in Experience

Re: Installing floating/alcove shelves

Thanks Eric, this is super helpful. 

I think I will be going with the pine board option with the Kreg pocket hole jig you suggested. Also will get some angle brackets to be on the safe side. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects