Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix peeling laminate?

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

How to fix peeling laminate?

EA7AD29F-7668-4395-8133-D83C18174670.jpeg

67A8A531-6B1C-4796-878E-CC3360EA59D5.jpeg

  

About a year ago I painted our kitchen with the dulux laminate range paint. There is now one small section where the laminate appears to have peeled. What is the best way to fix this? 

thanks! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: laminate kitchen peeling

Hello @poppylee198 

I suggest using Selleys 100ml Kwik Grip Horizontal Contact Adhesive to join the laminate back onto the timber board. I propose using a thin applicator like a popsicle stick to spread the adhesive on the board and laminate strip. I propose using masking tape to temporarily hold the laminate in place until the adhesive cures. Once the adhesive cures you can then remove the masking tape.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and mask. Please make sure to follow all the safety guidelines printed at the back of the packaging.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Hi eric

thanks so much. That sounds good for the part down the bottom but I am a little concerned as the top part almost seems to have shrunk!? I don’t think it will cover it if we do that? I believe you’ll still see the wood underneath. 

any other suggestions? 

A158C361-DB72-441C-AB3D-CDC7E7F94C48.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @poppylee198 

Now that I've had a closer look at the location of that panel. You're correct that the panel wrap has shrunk and has moved back. I'm afraid I'm going to have to suggest replacing the damaged side panels of the oven. This type of damage occurs when extreme heat of the oven sometimes blows over the side of the panel. 

It doesn't happen straight away, but the cumulative effect of heat exposure will eventually damage the vacuum wrap. If you are not yet prepared to change the panels. I suggest using the glue and covering the wood with some touch up sample paint.    

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric. When we are ready, how do we go about replacing the seal- is that something we can do ourselves ? Thanks! 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fix peeling laminate?

Hello @poppylee198,

@EricL is currently away on his year-end break, but our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to assist as soon as he can.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha

Hi @poppylee198 

I am unable to clearly  see from the photo, but chipboard is likely to be what is under the laminate.  It's a material that degrades rapidly under moist or extremely hot conditions. I would be inclined to rip the whole panel out and put in a panel that's got some heat resistant  properties.  Or to tile a sheet of gyprock and install that.  Another option might be fibre cement panels.  Heat resistant wall panels are also out in the market, so you might want to research that.

And @EricL has provided some excellent points in a previous discussion:

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Living-and-Bedroom/What-material-panel-to-use-for-heat-shiel...

Good luck 🤞

Hi @poppylee198,

I believe @EricL's advice was to replace the whole side panel of the cabinet. Alternatively, you could remove the damaged vinyl wrap from the front edge, carefully cutting it away from the sides, and apply 21mm x 10m Melamine Edging White. This iron-on edging is considerably thicker than the vinyl wrap (fractions of a millimetre), but it could give an acceptable finish and prevent you from replacing the panel. Another option would be to remove the damaged vinyl and paint the exposed edge.

To replace the panel entirely, you'd need to remove the oven to gain access to the screws holding it in place.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

You are quite correct @MitchellMc !  Eric did suggest just that!  My bad for not absorbing his advice fully 😳😳

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric! Will try the melamine if if not paint, if we 

image.jpg

do need to paint, what type do we need? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects