Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish double brick wall?

smittyboi
Growing in Experience

How to finish double brick wall?

I’ve removed some tiles from my kitchen durin renovations and with my new design no cabinetry or tiles will be going where they were removed and it was previously flushed, I’m just wondering what product can be used to recluse it weather I can just use plaster or should use more of a concrete/render and polish that up. Wanting a smooth untextured wall.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: flush double brick wall

Afternoon @smittyboi 

Sorry I missunderstood what you were refering to. Lets see if I have this right now.

The wall in question

Double brick base (That tiles use to be stuck on.) that you want to plaster over to fill in holes that the tiles have created when pulled off.

Top part maybe brick with a plastered surface then With wallpaper on it.

I would go with @MitchellMc's suggestion and resurface the whole wall with a sheet of plaster over it all. Using a render or a plaster material that you trowl on would take far more time then a new sheet of plaster. I have stuck plaster sheet direct to brick surfaces with Gyprock CSR 5.5kg Acrylic Stud Adhesive two years ago and no issues as yet.

I hope I have it right, if not we can try again.

Dave

smittyboi
Growing in Experience

I am not resheeting it I don’t have room with the new kitchen, it has previously been flushed with a product. No there is no plaster board over the wall at all it has either been rendered or plaster putty put on it and flushed. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @smittyboi 

You could technically use Davco 20kg Off White Render as a render over the brick to get it flat. However, if you are saying that the upper portion of the brick wall is covered by wallpaper the white render will be thicker. Unfortunately, any top coating applied to the surface of the brick will be thick in a manner of speaking and can't be made paper thin. You could give it a go, but parts of the bricks rough surface might still be visible if the render is too thin.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects