Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can we fit a dishwasher?

katdog888
Just Starting Out

Can we fit a dishwasher?

Hi everyone. We are first time homeowners wondering how best to fit a dishwasher into our current kitchen situation.

The kitchen is small and adjoins to a small laundry. The cabinets where the actual kitchen sink is are narrow and I doubt that we could install a standard size dishwasher there unless we fully renovated the kitchen - and we are planning to do a full renovation in a few years.

In the interim, wondering if we could fit a dishwasher in the laundry next to the washine machine? Thinking we may need to remove the laundry sink to do so? Or perhaps move the sink to the awkward corner spot. 

20240101_124925.jpg

20240101_125014.jpg

Any thoughts about how we could achieve this?

Thanks

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Can we fit a dishwasher?

Hi  @katdog888 

Happy new  year :smile:

Well a dish washer wants  cold water running to it and a drain so Looking at your photos

Is that space to the right of the laundry tube viable? to fit a dish washer? As that will allow you to easy water under sink and most importantly drainage

too.  Plumber  required  for those  mods unless your very handy there. Probably  the cheapest temp area.

The  corner of your laundry next too wooden stand may lend itself to a dishwasher position but  pumber will need to run fexable water and drain  hose back to laundry sink and may say no.

A thought out of the box I cant  see in photo room size  can you fit idlsnd bench in front of existing sink?  

My thoughs  are the island bench holds diswasher / sink  or move draws right  or cupboards left into island bench and install dish wash under  kitchen window ,  Dish washer easy to connect there but requires some carepenter work to  alter  kitchen cupboards.

Another option is a smaller free standing dishwasher Essentially all that means is it has nice  cabinat all the way around viewed most sides.

But  the  idea  is  some can hook to existing tap outlet and drain into sink  ( Research  that is hard to find)  I would adapt under sink water to take hose fittings for easy connect /disconnect as well as solution for drain.

Maybe it is time to fast forward kitchen plans so you get what you want and not waste money on tempary solutions but we  not made of money so  see what you think.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can we fit a dishwasher?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @katdog888. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a dishwasher.

A dishwasher could be installed in the kitchen, but you will need to modify the cabinetry and lose storage space. Despite it being a bit of an inconvenience having the dishwasher in the laundry, this could be an option if a full renovation is only a couple of years away. In the interim, if there is not enough room next to the current laundry tub (you'd need at least 600mm), I suggest you do a mini makeover in the laundry; I've created a render for you below. By changing the laundry tub to a 450 sink cabinet (please check the measurements to confirm), you should have plenty of room for the dishwasher. A nice new bench will complete the look.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects