Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are my tomato plants not growing more fruit?

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Why are my tomato plants not growing more fruit?

Hello Team,

Hope you all had an excellent Christmas.

This is regarding my tomato plants, I noticed that new tomatoes are not produced in my plants compared to two months before. Is it normal or some issues with my plants? Please advise.

Best regards

Balaji.

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Tomato Plant - different leaf colours

Hello Team,

Would you please advise why there are two different coloured leaves in my tomato plant - top leaves are green and bottom looks yellowish/faded? Should I have to take any action or is that normal?

Thanks - Balaji

.20240103_103540.jpg20240103_103546.jpg

Re: Tomato Plant - different leaf colours

Hi @balaji27

Some times under watering  can be the  cause and  when you do water try get the water into the pot directly

An other possibility if  watered regularly is those leaves almost look fungal infected  some  times caused  by watering  wetting the leafs not the roots,  

fix by snipping brown and yellow  spotted leafs and raking ground of leaves to try remove fungal  source.

Try a  little liquid fertiliser see if they perk up. 

Good luck  hope they heathy soon.

Hello balaji27,

Your plant needs a good feed, just as the previous responder said. This is typical of a Nitrogen deficiency; the plant is clever and moves it from the old leaves to the new which is why they are yellow on the bottom and green at the top. But use a balanced feed, specific for fruiting. Anything too strong can cause the flowers to drop. Best of luck xx

Thanks @Jewelleryrescue for your prompt response. I always water to the pot, not on the leaves. I will follow as advised.

Regards

Balaji.

Thanks @rachael_wilson for the guidance, I will add the required fertilizer.

Regards

Balaji.

It's great to see you've received some helpful replies @balaji27.

I'd agree that if you haven't applied a fertiliser to the plant, that would be a good idea. Also, you'll find that tomatoes naturally have their lower leaves die off as the plant grows.

You'll find that the pot you are growing this particular plant in is not really quite large enough and certainly not as good as growing in a bed, like your other plants. Although it's possible to grow a tomato in a small pot and have it produce fruit, it can't spread its roots and look for the nutrients it needs. Perhaps you might like to transfer it to a bed is you have enough room.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rachael_wilson. It's wonderful to have you join us, and I trust @balaji27 appreciates your helpful advice.

We'll be keen to hear all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc , I see your point and agree with you. I will give a go with a bigger pot or garden bed and follow others' suggestions as well.

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Tomatoes

Hello Team,

Hope all are doing well.

I need your advice, please have a look at the pics of my tomatoes - these are like this for a long time, not showing any signs of ripening, slow growth and also looks pale to me. Are they looking healthy? Will that take so long? As shared before, I got good amount of tasty tomatoes from the same vine. Please guide - thanks, Balaji.

20240126_152024.jpg20240126_152036.jpg20240126_152018.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tomatoes

Hi @balaji27,

Typically, fully grown tomatoes that don't fully ripen are caused by insufficient sunlight, too much nitrogen (so over-fertilisation), or the temperatures are too cool.  Let's rule out temperature, as one would think you are experiencing adequate temps in the middle of Summer. So, could you have over-fertilised or has the area received less sunlight due to the sun's arc in mid-summer?

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects