Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use Bailey's Soil Matters Clay and Compost with natives?

Gie
Just Starting Out

Can you use Bailey's Soil Matters Clay and Compost with natives?

Hello! I'm in Perth and have very typical sandy hydrophobic soil. I've used Bailey's Soil Matters Clay and Compost on parts of my garden and it's been awesome for my vegetable patch.

Will that be ok to use for where I want to plant Australian Natives? Or maybe mix that and Australian native potting mix? Or is there something else entirely that you suggest?

Many Thanks 

Gie

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can you use Bailey's Soil Matters Clay and Compost with natives?

Hi @Gie,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. We look forward to reading about how your gardening is flourishing in future. 

Let me tag the ever-helpful @Noelle and @ChloeThomson to see if they can kick off this discussion. 

You might also find this article helpful - How to grow and care for Australian native trees.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Can you use Bailey's Soil Matters Clay and Compost with natives?

Hi @Gie 

There is absolutely nothing in Bailey's Soil Matters Clay & Compost that could cause any harm to your soil or to any Australian plants you intend putting into soil to which it has been added. This product contains kaolin clay, silts, rock minerals and compost, all of which are terrific soil improvers for sandy and/or hydrophobic soils. There is no need to add a native plant potting mix as well.

The instructions on the Bailey's product advise:

• Spread 1-2 bags over 1m2 and mix to a depth of 200-300mm.
  • Dig a hole twice as large as the root ball, plant and backfill with the amended soil.
  • Water well. 

It is important to mix the contents of the bag at the rate recommended and to work it thoroughly through the soil.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects