Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are my oranges splitting?

gavin16
Growing in Experience

Why are my oranges splitting?

Anyone knows why most of my oranges kind of split and smaller in its size? I use citrus fertilizers and have been watering the tree almost daily.IMG20240417083458.jpg Any tips from the experts out there?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Split in my grown oranges

Hi @gavin16,

Citrus fruit splitting typically occurs due to fluctuations in water supply, temperature and humidity. When the fruit experiences sudden uptake of water after a dry spell or heavy rainfall, the skin can't expand quickly enough, leading to splits. Factors like soil moisture, weather conditions, and the fruit's stage of development play crucial roles. Splitting affects the fruit's aesthetics and can make it more susceptible to pests and diseases. 

No plant needs to be watered every day, and in some cases, that can do more harm than good. I recommend you water only three times a week, but make sure those are deep waterings. Allow at least 15 minutes of the water running at the base of the tree so it soaks down deep where it is needed.

Let me also tag @mich1972 and @Noelle to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Split in my grown oranges

Hi @gavin16 

I endorse Mitchell's comments regarding the causes of splitting and also his advice that citrus (and other trees) do not need watering every day! I good soaking twice a week when the weather is hot and dry and perhaps every 10-14 days at other times of the year when there has been no rainfall is more than adequate.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects