Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why is my Woolly Bush Adenanthos sericeus drying and wilting?

greg_r
Finding My Feet

Why is my Woolly Bush Adenanthos sericeus drying and wilting?

Hi, My wooly bush which was planted in the ground last September is not doing well. It established well but now the new growth are looking shrunk ( the leaves are not opening even though there seems to be new growth) 

Not sure what to do?
The ground is a a mix of clay and I had added new soil mix

IMG_5447.jpeg

when planting plus some compost on top last year. It established well.  
I added a 2-3 in layer of mulch few weeks back, could that be causing it to struggle? 

Any advice will be welcome? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why is my Woolly Bush Adenanthos sericeus drying and wilting?

Hi @greg_r,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

It sounds like your woolly bush might be experiencing some stress. The symptoms you're describing—shrinking leaves and lack of new growth opening—could indicate a few potential issues.

Firstly, check the soil moisture. Woolly bushes prefer well-drained soil, so it's essential to ensure that the soil isn't overly wet or dry. Consistent, moderate moisture is ideal.

Consider the mulch you recently applied. While mulch can be beneficial for moisture retention and weed suppression, if it's too thick or piled against the plant's stems, it may lead to problems such as root suffocation or moisture imbalance. Make sure the mulch is spread evenly and not touching the base of the plant.

It's also worth inspecting the plant for signs of pests or diseases. Any discoloration, spots, or unusual growths should be noted and addressed accordingly.

You might find this article from our resident garden guru @Noelle is a helpful tool for diagnosing the issue:

Allow me to also tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any other advice to give @mich1972, @ChloeThomson, @HitOrMiss.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any further questions.

Jacob

HitOrMiss
Finding My Feet

it is possible that the plant was happy growing in the soil you added at planting and has hit the clay and is not as happy.
if that is the case, it could possibly be the clay holding too much water, with the soil being clay one thing you will find is, the soil you put in at the time of planting and root ball will dry out quicker than the clay surrounding it, but if you water too much the clay will just hold it all it in, so you may need to find a balance when you water of a light watering around the root ball trying to minimize how much runs down to the clay.
could also possibly be PH, if there is enough of a difference between what you added and the clay that could possibly cause some issues.

Can I add gypsum around the roots. Will that go down into the roots and help break the clay? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @greg_r,

Gypsum won't help if it's a solid clay layer. It's great for adding to soil that contains clay, but nothing is going to shift a clay layer. 

Your plant looks exceptionally healthy. Could you show us a close-up of this new growth so we can better determine if there is an issue that needs addressing? It might just be that the weather is starting to cool off and it's not actively putting on new growth anymore.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

IMG_5602.png

IMG_5590.jpeg

Hi @MitchellMc 

Here’s a close up. And a picture I took today.

I think there was a lot of new growth a month back but it’s  not bushy, it looks shrunk & closed up. In fact, the entire tree/leaves are looking like they have closed up, they are not bushy like a healthy plant is. Could it be just due to  winter setting in?  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What does your watering regime entail, @greg_r? Does the soil stay damp for long periods after you've watered, or has it rained? 

Mitchell

I mulched it heavily about 3-4 weeks back and I gave it a very deep soaking 2-3 times that week. And little bit more in the subsequent weeks - twice a week. 

Plus, it has rained quite a bit recently on & off all through April ( in Melbourne).

I have removed the mulch recently  to give it a breather. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

From your description, it sounds like the roots are waterlogged, so you should ease off the watering entirely, @greg_r. Only water if the top 10cm of soil has begun to dry out.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects