Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are my banana plant leaves drying?

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Why are my banana plant leaves drying?

Hello Team,

Please have a look at the pics of my banana plant and please advise what's wrong with the drying leaves, I water the plant regularly, what could be wrong? Thanks Balaji.20240413_080804.jpg20240413_080800.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Why are my banana plant leaves drying?

Hi again @balaji27,

Please check out the Bunnings guide How to grow and care for banana plants.  

Can you also please tell us where you are based and what the growing conditions are like?

Obviously they are a tropical plant so require a lot of water. The guide also mentions that in exposed spots, leaves can become torn and raggedy and to just trim off any dead leaves. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
HitOrMiss
Finding My Feet

It could possibly be Cordana leaf spot, they are more susceptible to this under over/under watering conditions, nutrient deficiencys or physical damage. 

How long does your irrigation come on for ? How often ? It may be better to set it to do a longer deeper watering once or twice a week.

You could apply a fungicide, but personally I would try removing the affected foliage, add some fertilizer and do a deep water as they look a bit thirsty and hungry, keeping the banana healthy will help it be strong enough to resist peat and pathogens on its own.

If you do not want to take the whole leaf, cut around the infection site, the more severely infected leaves should be removed.

It looks a little bit thirsty and hungry. I know yours is in the ground, but for reference as to how much they can drink banana in a pot can drink 9+ litres of water a day, they are also heavy feeders of nutrients.

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Thanks @Jason , I am based at Adelaide. I will go through the guide.

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Thanks a lot. I water daily once, is that not enough? Would you please advise how to water deep, should I make a deep hole and insert a water pipe?

Kind regards, Balaji.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @balaji27,

Watering daily and, therefore, having the soil constantly wet/damp provides excellent conditions for fungal issues to occur. Instead of watering for 2-5 minutes daily, try two of three longer waterings per week. Place the hose at the base of the plant and allow it to run for 10 minutes. This provides enough time for the water to seep down deep where it's most needed.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
balaji27
Building a Reputation

Thanks for the advice @MitchellMc , I will follow the same.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects