Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to save Pencil Pine turning yellow and drooping?

annabelcameron
Just Starting Out

How to save Pencil Pine turning yellow and drooping?

IMG_3856.jpeg

IMG_3857.jpeg

IMG_3858.jpeg

  

IMG_3855.jpeg

  

Hi all, 

We had these pencil pines planted about 1 year ago with the intention of them becoming a screen eventually. There are 6 in total, 5 seem to be very happy. One of them recently has turned yellow and is dropping, looking very sad. They were fertilized and mulched about a month ago. We have had a lot of rain as of recent and its clay soil. However the others seem to be thriving. Wondering what the problem might be and what I can do to save it? If it is salvageable at all.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to save Pencil Pine turning yellow and drooping?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @annabelcameron. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Pencil Pines.

It's always unusual to have a plant die from a row when the others on either side are flourishing. If, for some reason, a bowl had been created in the clay for just that plant, the roots could have been sitting in water. The reason for its demise might become more obvious once you dig it out and check the root system, or it might always remain a mystery. 

I suspect this plant is on its way out, and there's likely not much you can do to save it. I'd recommend digging it out, looking at the roots, and then assessing the soil in which it was planted. If there is a solid clay layer directly below the roots, then that would be a good indication of what took it out.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects