Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What tools do I need to buy and what steps do I need to take to cut overgrown grass and plants?

elieeee
Finding My Feet

What tools do I need to buy and what steps do I need to take to cut overgrown grass and plants?

I’m moving into a property where the grass hasn’t been cut in a while, this will be my first time taking care of a garden and I wasn’t sure where to start. Any tips are welcome! The grass is overgrown and the plants need some trimming. What tools do I need? I have done some research and will have to use a whipper snipper to cut the grass because of the height and then mow it. Is that correct? What else do I need to do from what you can see? Thank you in advance! 

IMG_0092.jpeg

IMG_0093.jpeg

IMG_0090.jpeg

IMG_0089.jpeg

IMG_0091.jpeg

Walter

Re: What tools do I need to buy and what steps do I need to take to cut overgrown grass and plants?

Hey @elieeee , welcome to the community, and excellent question.

WOW, that's a lot to do. Yes, a "Whiipper Snipper" (line trimmer), followed by a lawn mower is definitely on the cards.

I'd also look at some weed killer to follow up to kill the roots on any tough weeds.

My suggestion is to get a line trimmer that can also double as a "brush cutter", to get through the tougher stuff, as IMHO, the whipper snipper might find it tough in the thicker areas. I use an interchanegable head on my line trimmer for my boysenberry bush that needs a good thrashing once a year to promote new growth and get rid of the older stalks.

Depending on your budget, you can get whipper snippers with multiple head attachments but I'm definietly leaning towards a brush cutter as a start.

Grub80
Making a Splash

Re: What tools do I need to buy and what steps do I need to take to cut overgrown grass and plants?

Hi @elieeee @well done on tackling an overgrown yard. My advice is slow and steady, and when you purchase your tools, purchase the ones that feel right for you. Some whipper snippers are heavy in your hands so choose the one that feels right for you. 

Tackle your yard in bite size chunks, do the side, then a bit of the back, then the front etc. it’s a large job when you start, but very rewarding when completed.

good luck, and well done, I hope you have fun 👍

Thank you for your help, I will follow through with your suggestions! I hope you have a great day. 

Thank you for your suggestion I will make sure I buy it from the store rather than online and see how I go. I hope you have a great day. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're looking forward to seeing how you can transform your garden @elieeee.

The guide How to choose a cordless lawn mower would be a great place to start before heading into store. There's more great advice in What line trimmer do you recommend? and What lawn mower do you recommend?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you moved in yet @elieeee?

Let us know if you need anything further. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects