Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are my chilli leaves moist?

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Why are my chilli leaves moist?

Hello Team,

I need your advice - Please refer to the pic, I noticed that my chilly plant leaves are moist (not due to water) as it is very sticky, would you please check and let me know what is the issue with my plant?

Thanks,

Balaji.20231221_090836.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Why are my chilli leaves moist?

Hi @balaji27,

Can you please take a photo of the underside of your chilli plant's leaves? It seems you have a thrip or aphid infestation. We might be able to see them a little clearer if they are hiding underneath the leaves. 

How has the weather been in Adelaide recently?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@balaji27  Good morning, that sticky secretion is from Aphids attacking your plants. You will need to treat all the plants with it. Success is really good and so is Eco Neem Oil. Spray at night or early morning, never in the heat of the day. Make sure to wear the appropriate protective gear when spraying. Good luck 😃🪴

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Hello Jason,

Thanks for your quick reply. Please find the pics for you to inspect more. Other side of the plant hasn't got infected yet, I also attached some pics of it as well. Please advice.

Thanks

Balaji.

Sticky LeafSticky LeafSticky LeafSticky LeafNon-sticky leafNon-sticky leafOther sideOther sideNon-Sticky LeafNon-Sticky Leaf

Good advice @mich1972 

Did you know that sometimes ants can play a part in this as well? Some ants have a relationship with some insect species like aphids and other sap sucking insects. They carry the eggs up the plants and leave them on the foliage. In payment they eat the sticky secretions that @balaji27 has noted above. So moral of the story here is that you need to keep an eye out for ants as well.

Don't forget to spray the top and the underside of the leaves. 

Nature is a wonderful thing. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Those photos are clearer, thanks @balaji27

Please follow @mich1972's advice and you should be able to get the aphids under control.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
balaji27
Building a Reputation

Good morning Mich, Thanks for your advice, will spray Eco Neem Oil tonight and share the updates.

Thanks

Balaji.

balaji27
Building a Reputation

Thanks for your insights Robchin, really an useful information.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects