Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What has caused sudden skeletalization of indoor rubber plant leaves?

Neo19
Making a Splash

What has caused sudden skeletalization of indoor rubber plant leaves?

Hi everyone,

I'm reaching out for some expert advice with my beloved rubber plant. I recently moved it from my outdoor plant rehab area to its permanent indoor spot with decent sunlight. Unfortunately, within the last few days, I've noticed some concerning patches appearing on different leaves.

These patches start at the outer edges and gradually expand, eventually encompassing a significant portion of the leaf, causing it to fall off. The affected areas look like delicate skeletons, with only the veins remaining and the green tissue gone.

I'm stumped as to what's causing this and haven't been successful in finding answers online (frustrating!). Hoping the forum experts can shed some light!

Here's what I've observed:

Patches start small at the edges of leaves and grow over time.

Affected areas resemble skeletons, with only veins visible and green tissue missing.

Several leaves are already damaged, and at least five have completely fallen off.

Upon closer inspection, I found two small green crawlers on the plant.

Could these little guys be the culprits behind the skeletalization of my rubber plant leaves

Attaching some pictures 

1000040780.jpg

L

1000040781.jpg

1000040782.jpg

  

1000040783.jpg

1000040784.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: sudden skeletalization of indoor rubber plant leaves

Hi @Neo19,

So sorry to hear about the issues. That damage wouldn't commonly indicate a caterpillar attack, but perhaps their normal chew pattern is different on a rubber plant. I've had a similar issue with identifying what might be the cause, as this doesn't appear to be a common problem. It is more likely a disease than pest related, possibly something similar to anthracnose, though that doesn't normally result in these skeleton leaves. Let me mention a couple of our gardening experts, @Noelle and @mich1972, to see if they have some thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What has caused sudden skeletalization of indoor rubber plant leaves?

Hi @Neo19 

The pattern on one of the leaves (the regular lines) looks a little like caterpillar-type damage while the other , ore random, patchiness does not. The green critter looks similar to a cabbage white butterfly caterpillar, but they don't cause the type of damage your rubber plant is exhibiting - the start at the edge and chomp everything until the leaf is gone.

I'm as confused as @MitchellMc as to the cause. Keep a watchful eye on it and see what else you can find.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Very strange @Neo19  the chlorophyll has been eaten out and leaving the window panes behind which is definitely what grubs do, but on a rubber plant, very strange. 

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with their thoughts on my ailing rubber plant!

Like @MitchellMc & @Noelle mentioned, there are an odd mix of damage. Some leaves show lines like caterpillar munching, but others are quite random. I'll keep a close eye out for anything else and isolate the affected leaves to prevent spread.

@mich1972 , I gave the plant a thorough inspection but couldn't find any grubs.

Should I try any particular treatment methods like an insecticide in the meantime? This happened so quickly after bringing it indoors. Maybe something attacked it outside and it's now manifesting?

Any further insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! If I discover anything new, I'll be sure to update the forum.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Neo19 

I propose using Eco-Organic Garden 750ml Ready To Use Eco-Oil as a deterrent. It provides a 2-in1 action: kills pests and attracts beneficial insects at the same time. It's made from 100% plant oils (no petroleum derivatives). It is pet friendly, but just to be safe, I still suggest keeping your pets and children away from the plant while it's being treated.

At this point in time, all I can suggest is to keep observing your plant. If other symptoms manifest itself, we'll have a better idea of what's happening to your plant.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when using the spray. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Neo19
Making a Splash

Thanks @EricLusing the Eco-Oil sounds promising especially since I already have it!  

Any thoughts on potential leaf burn or harming the plant if I sprayed the whole thing without knowing the exact culprit? Will definitely observe and update if anything changes. Thanks again!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Neo19 

Eco-oil effectively manages a diverse array of insects, such as scale, mites, aphids, whitefly, and leafminer. Its utilization of lightweight botanical oils ensures rapid evaporation from plant surfaces, reducing the likelihood of foliage burning compared to white oil and other sprays containing mineral or petroleum oils.

However, if you are worried about leaf burn, I suggest testing it on one of the leaves and observing its effect. 

Eric

Neo19
Making a Splash

Thanks @EricL 

I'll test in a leaf and spray the rest of the plant after a couple of days if no issues. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects