Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal treated Pine sleepers that have been cut?

bangorjohnny
Finding My Feet

How to seal treated Pine sleepers that have been cut?

I'm using Sienna MicroPro H4 Treated pine sleepers for a retaining wall. When I cut them for length, what product should I use to seal the  cut ends?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sealing treated pine sleepers that have been cut.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bangorjohnny. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing timber.

If the cut ends won't be visible, I suggest using TWA Woodcare 300g Ecoseal Tanalised Timber Treatment. It will seal the ends with an H5 treatment, but it is a green-tinged spray. If the cut ends are in visible above-ground locations, I recommend using Tanalised 300g Clear Enseal Timber Treatment, which treats them to a suitable H3 level. H4 is only required for inground applications.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bangorjohnny
Finding My Feet

Painting retaining wall sleepers

I'm using Sienna MicroPro H4 sleepers for a retaining wall. Can I paint these sleepers and can I paint over the ends after using Ecoseal Tanalised Timber Treatment to seal the cut ends?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting retaining wall sleepers

Hello @bangorjohnny 

Thanks for sharing your question about your Sienna sleepers. The number one rule when painting Sienna sleepers is to make sure that the surface and ends are totally dry. If parts of the sleeper are still sweating or damp, I suggest waiting longer to make sure that the surface is totally dry. 

Once you are sure that the surface of the sleeper is dry, I propose using Zinsser 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker to prevent stains inside the sleeper from bleeding through. For the topcoat, I suggest looking at Dulux Weathersheild or Taubmans Sunproof. I recommend using water-based paints only as it is ideal for pressure treated timber.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects