Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prune murrayas?

Dawdiddles
Getting Established

How to prune murrayas?

F24657F5-7471-4C69-80E4-38DCC0D863F7.jpeg 

82CE49FC-6A31-4916-A7DC-71C5C47E01BF.jpeg

Hi team,

I recently planted 3 young Murrayas from our local Bunnings. Overtime, I’d like them to be both dense and tall. I know very little about pruning and would love advice about how to achieve this. 

Also…The one on the left has flowered, which is gorgeous, in less than a week since transfer. Why might this have happened for one and not the others?

Thanks so much,

Kate

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prune murrayas?

Hello @Dawdiddles 

Typically, it is advisable not to trim Murraya excessively; instead, opt for consistent, gentle pruning. Trim the upper growth to retain your preferred hedge height, but exercise caution when trimming the sides to avoid removing flower buds. At this point in time, I suggest letting your Murraya mature a bit further as it appears to be still very young. 

In regards to the flowers, the main flowering period for Murraya is spring and early summer and often spot flower at other times over the warm months of the year. I suppose if the conditions are right and its hot enough your other Murraya plants might spot flower as well.

Here is a handy guide regarding Murraya: Planting, growing and pruning Murraya hedges.

If you need further assistance, please let us now.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects